Chapter 19 (Hospitalized)

Chapter 19

Hospitalized

Derek’s P.O.V*

I rode in the ambulance with Arabella. Unfortunately they took the guy I beat up and brought him to the hospital too. They should have left him there to rot. He deserves it for what he did.

As soon as we reached the hospital, they rolled Arabella into the ER. I was forced to wait in the waiting room. I feel like she’ll be mostly okay. What bothers me most is she won’t wake up.

Why do these things always happen on our date night? It’s like the universe is against us being together. No one wants me to be happy, which I am when I’m around Arabella. Just the sight of her makes me smile, and I’m constantly wanting to be around her. I don’t know what it is, but I couldn’t bear to lose her.

~*~

After about 30 minutes in the waiting room, Arabella’s family came in. Her father took one look at me and punched me in the face. I rubbed my jaw where he punched me. Normally I’d fight back, but in this case I think I deserve it.

“Stan, stop!” Arabella’s mother exclaimed, grabbing onto her husband’s arm. “This wasn’t his fault.”

“The hell it was! If it wasn’t for him this wouldn’t have happened. My little girl wouldn’t be in the ER.”

The Mastersons sat away from me. Occasionally Mr. Masterson would send a glare or two my way. I ignored him and kept my focus on Arabella. How is she doing? Are they operating on her? How injured is she? Has she woken up yet?

A doctor came into the waiting room and the Masterson’s and I waited for him to give us news.

“Good news, your daughter will be fine.” The doctor said. “Bad news is, she’s suffered two broken ribs, a sprained wrist and a concussion. We‘d like to keep her for a couple of days to monitor her.”

“Can we see her?” I asked.

“Yes, but she should get as much rest as possible.”
The doctor lead us to Arabella’s room where she laid on a bed with her eyes closed. Her parents rushed in and went to her bedside. I stayed back to let them have their time with her.

“Hey mom, dad.” Arabella said with a horse voice.

“What happened sweetie?” Her mom asked.

“A man…” She sighed. “took me and beat me up.”

I stared at Arabella. Her black eye and swollen lips and cheek looks slightly better now that she’s more cleaned up. She kept her eyes closed as she spoke and she seemed out of it. Her wrist was in a brace and her head was bandaged.

“Where’s Derek?” She asked.

“He’s right here.” Her mom said, waving me over.

I slowly walked over ad knelt on the other side of her bed. She opened her eyes and looked at me.

“Hi.” She said with a small smile.

“How are you feeling?” I asked, taking her good hand in mine.

“Like crap. But I’d be worst if you hadn’t saved me.”

“You what?” Her dad asked me.

“He saved me.” Arabella explained. “The guy wouldn’t have stopped if Derek hadn’t shown up when he did.”

But I didn’t save Arabella. If I’d saved her, this wouldn’t have happened. I was too late. The only thing I could do for her was get her here to the hospital. I should have done better.