Sequel Preview

Preview

*Derek*

My heart skips a beat as Gavin's number pops across the screen of my cell phone. I look down at Arabella who still sleeps soundly with her head resting on my lap. If I don't answer, he'll call back until I do. If I do answer, I'm afraid I won't like what he has to say. I take a deep breath before I hesitantly click the answer button. I bring the phone up to my ear and listen.

"Derek?" Gavin asks. I don't respond. "Derek, I know you're there. Why didn't you call when you were released? I had to find out from one of my guys who saw you. Are you avoiding me?"

"No." I answer simply. "I've just been busy."

"Well I'm expecting you in here sometime this week. There's a lot for you to catch up on. Make it happen, okay?"

I made a promise to leave my bad habits behind me. Arabella deserves a good guy that will always be there for her, support her, and love her. I want to be that for her and I can't if I end up back in jail.

"Derek?" Gavin asks.

"You know, I'm not really into that kind of business anymore. I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to have to pass."

Arabella shifts and I look down to see she's waking up. Her eyes open and meet with mine and a small smile spreads across her face.

"Hey." She says, her voice husky from sleep. "Who's on the phone?"

"You see, I don't like that answer." Gavin says. "We used to be friends, you and I. You're going to throw that friendship away? You need me, boy. I'm all you've ever known. I've practically raised you. I was there when your father wasn't. I made sure you were fed and clothed. You can't just turn your back!"

"Sure I can." I hang up the phone and toss it on the couch beside me. "It was just someone offering me a job." I explain to Arabella as I begin to gently rake my fingers through her soft hair.

"Oh yeah? Are you going to take it?" After being turned down job after job, I would jump at the opportunity to make any kind of money. But I'm not that desperate.

"No, it wasn't the job for me. I'm sure another will come along, don't worry."

"I'm not worried. My job pays well enough to support both of us. I just want you to have a somewhat normal life. You know, get a job and make some friends, maybe..." she mumbles the rest of her sentence.

"And what?"

"Maybe start a family, eventually." She looks up at me as she bites her lip.

"You want to start a family with someone like me? I don't exactly have the best genes? My mother abandoned me when I was young, my father was an abuser, and I'm a murderer. My genes are a little screwed up, don't you think?" She sits up and looks at me with furrowed brows.

"You're not your parents, and you're more than what the media label you as. You're Derek Knight, the love of my life. Don't ever thing you're screwed up or damaged in any way, okay?" I lean in and meet my lips with hers. She moves her lips in sync with mine, slow but desperate. As I pull her closer, closing the small gap between us, she reaches up and places her hand gently on my cheek.

I never thought I could love someone so much. I never thought I was capable of love until Arabella came into my life. I've done nothing to deserve her, but I can't imagine life without her.

"Here's an idea." I say, finally forcing our lips apart. I rest my forehead against hers, slightly out of breath. "I think we should get a little practice in before we think about making a family." I smile. "Figure out which positions are the best."

"Well, practice couldn't hurt." She says with a smile.

I jump up from the couch and easily pick up Arabella, swinging her over my shoulder. A giggle escapes her lips as I make our way to the bedroom.

***************************************************************************************

Hey guys! So this is a short preview to the sequel. This isn't the first chapter, but it's to let you guys get an idea of what the sequel will be about. I hope you guys like it, I was trying to get it as perfect as I could. Unfortunately I have not come up with a title yet, but I hope to start the sequel really soon! :)