Chapter 1

New Beginning

The annoying sound of my ringtone began blaring. I involuntarily sat up and turned off the alarm on my phone.

I sighed and looked around my new room seeing a stack of brown boxes near the wall that still need to be unpacked. I am almost done, I just need a few more boxes. I threw out so much junk that I had in my old room and yet I still have a lot of things.

Today is my first day as a transfer student at Eleanor Roosevelt High School. It's the beginning of December meaning that the first semester of school is almost over and me being a new girl will equal unwanted attention. This is all because of that day. I can't complain though, it was my decision to move.

"Melody, since your dad and I are splitting up we want to know if you're going to want to stay with him or with me?"

I shook my head getting rid of the memory; I gathered my clothes -- which consisted of a lot of layers seeing as it's freezing in New York City during Winter. I had around 30 minutes to get ready so I hurried in the shower.

I changed and put on eyeliner, mascara, and some foundation. As soon as that was done I brushed my long wavy brown hair. 

My dad has to drive me to school today so he could sign off some papers for me to start school.

"I'm sorry again for having to move across the country. I wanted us to have a fresh start and my salary is better here." My dad explained again.

"It's fine. Who knows... we might like it here." I shrugged staring at his brown eyes that are an exact replica of mine. He chuckled. 

"Maybe." He said smiling, making me smile back. The main reason we decided to move to NYC  was because of the job offer my dad got here in New York University. They offered him a better salary compared to San Diego State University.

"Yea... maybe." I said. Who knows... maybe I will like it here better than in San Diego. I cringed inwardly. I doubt that.

The rest of the car ride was silent. The traffic wasn't so bad seeing as we live a few blocks away from the school - literally. The driving in this city, however, is crazy. There are pedestrians crossing and there are cars honking at them! Seriously? There are tons of people walking around. Men and women had coats to warm them up. There were a bunch of yellow cabs. The scenery definitely looks beautiful. The architect here is... wow. I'm loving it.

The school is alike all other buildings in NYC, unlike the one I went to in San Diego, this school looks more like a business than a school. The architecture on all the buildings are beyond me. Everything was grandeur.

I got my brown leather bag and headed towards the entrance door leading to the office.

"Hi, can I help you?" A boy around my age asked as soon as we entered the office. He's skinny and has curly ginger hair that's cut into a shape of a mushroom; he had freckles and wore glasses.

"Yea, my daughter is transferring to this school and I was asked to come in to sign off a few papers." My dad responded.

"Oh, yea, Melody Gonzalez?" The boy asked who was now staring at me.

"Uh, yeah." How the hell does he know?

"Ms. Anders informed me you'd be coming in this morning. She left the papers here with me," he said, "and, here is your schedule." He handed me a paper with the list of 6 classes.

"Go look around. I'm going to go straight to a meeting at work. I'll pick you up right after school. If there's anything you need, call me." My dad said in a caring voice.