Chapter 12

Full of Surprises

Chris and I left his and Lesly's belongings at the new apartment. It's a 3 bedroom with two bathrooms. It's really nice, not as fancy as their old place. This apartment - I'm sure, will feel more like a home.

After he got settled in, he dropped me off at school to pick up my car. I'm home now and it's 4:30 PM. We agreed that he'd pick me up at 5:40 PM, so I have about an hour to get ready. I got a small snack meanwhile, that should keep my stomach satisfied for a bit. Now, what to wear? I can't wear a dress because it's too cold, so that's out of the question. But I don't want to wear something too casual. I want to make a good impression.

"Hmm... nope, nope, cute, but no."

Found it. A cute long black coat with a belt around it along with a fancy looking black and white shirt, and silver denim jeans.

Now shoes... Sneakers are a no no. Heels... closed or open? Closed most definitely, the weather is too cold for open heels. I took out my black heels and set them aside. Done. Now my hair. It isn't too messed up, so I'll just curl it a little bit.

About 10 minutes later I heard the front door open. That's weird... I unplugged the wand since I was finished and went to see who came in. I stopped walking when I saw my dad.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have students to teach?" I remember him being at Uni this morning which is odd since he works night shifts.

"Finals are this week so the schedule is different. Now my turn to ask: Where are you going?" He asked putting his work material on the kitchen table.

"I'm going out to eat with Chris, Luke, and Donna." I said causing him to look at me confused.

"Luke? As in the Dean of the university?" He asked. "My boss? Whom I call 'boss' and you're calling 'Luke?'" He asked sounding surprised and annoyed at the same time. I snickered.

"Uh yeaaa," I said dragging the yea in an awkward way, "He told me to call him that and he's Chris' dad. And Donna is-"

"His secretary. I know Mels." My dad said interrupting me. He chuckled. "So you're dating Chris?" He asked making my heart skip a beat. Even people saying his name causes my heart to do flip flops.

"Something like that, I guess." I said at the same time there was a knock on the door. I looked over the stove to check the time. 5:35 PM. A bit early, but I'm not complaining. I felt a smile grow on my lips as I walked towards the door. From my peripheral vision I saw my dad giving me a knowing smile with a shake of his head.

I opened the door to see Chris standing there, his hands rubbing the back of his neck. He too changed his outfit. He had a black coat alike mine over a white flannel and black jeans with dressed shoes. After I finished checking him out I looked up to catch him doing the same to me. He smirked and leaned in.

"I like your socks." He whispered into my ear making me shiver and blush at the same time. I forgot I had no shoes on. I was wearing a baby blue sock on my left foot and a lime green one on my right foot. I blushed.

"Oh yeaaa... I couldn't find a pair... I'm going to go put on some shoes." I said stepping back so he could come in first.

"Hey Chris." My dad greeted him from the kitchen. Please don't embarrass me dad! I kept chanting in my head. Chris walked towards him and shook his hand.

"Hey Dave." Chris greeted in return.

"Uh, I'm gonna go put on my shoes." I yelled louder this time, already walking towards my room. I hope my dad doesn't say or do anything to embarrass me. They already know each other so it shouldn't be bad. I put on my closed heels not worrying about the height since I won't ever get past Chris. I went back to find them laughing. I crossed my fingers in hope that they weren't laughing about me. I cleared my throat to get their attention. Chris looked at me still smiling.