Chapter 6

The threat

I woke up earlier than usual so I got to school early. It was pouring outside so I decided to go to the library. I sat down on a chair with an empty table and took out the book that Ms. Debby assigned for the class to read, The Great Gatsby. I already read it at my old school, but it won't hurt rereading it, right? I pulled out the pencil from the book that I keep as my bookmark and placed it on the table.

"Hey," A husky voice said. I didn't have to look up to know who that was. Chris. My heart automatically skipped a beat at hearing his voice. I gave him a quick glance and went back to my book. He is the last person I wanted to talk to after yesterday. I know I shouldn't be acting like this, but it bugs me so much that he might be with another girl. "What's wrong?" He asked sitting down next to me. My heart started to pick up. I should not be having this reaction! What's wrong with me?! Stupid attachment.

"Nothing. I'm trying to read here." I said picking up the book so he could see.

"The Great Gatsby, I remember reading that book." He said. Wait, 'remember?'

"You're a senior?!" I asked shocked with my eyes wide open. He started chuckling at my reaction. "That's not funny." I said a bit too loudly.

"Shh!" The librarian had her finger on her lips. Oops. I apologized and looked back at Chris whom was giving me an amused look.

"So," I said after a while of silence. "You have a girlfriend..." I said. He stopped smiling and gave me a poker-face.

"Jealous?" He smirked causing me to get butterflies in my tummy.

"No!" I half yelled too fast. The librarian shushed us again. My cheeks started to burn up. I sighed and gave her another apology.

"I don't have one." He said answering my question while playing with my pencil.

"Really? Because I saw you pretty cozy with that girl after school yesterday." Did I say that out loud? I mentally slapped myself. I seriously need to think before speaking. I blushed feeling embarrassed. He chuckled.

"She's... from my past." He said sounding unsure. So he had something with her... The bell rang. I cleared my throat.

"Can I have my pencil back?" I asked him. He handed it to me and I placed it on the page I left off on, trying not to make a big deal of his hand touching mine.

"You use the pencil as your bookmark?" He asked chuckling. I gave a small smile shrugging.

"My bookmarks vary." I replied. He stared at me in what seemed to be curiosity, but as soon as I blinked it was gone. Now he just held a crooked grin showing off one dimple. He just has to look so damn attractive. I bit the inside of my cheek.

I put my stuff away and got up at the same time Chris did. We were just a few inches away from each other making me forgot how to breathe. We were both gazing at each other's eyes. His eyes were a dark dark brown. Almost black. They looked so intense, it was as if he could see deep into my soul. I looked away after what felt like hours and walked to my first period dazed, trying to get my heart rate back to normal. What is he doing to me?

...

I had a lot of catching up to do in Photography so I had to stay in class during lunch. Mr. Hunt taught me how to develop the film and print the pictures out, I just hope I'll remember all the steps when actually doing it. Once he was done explaining everything to me, I packed up my stuff and walked out to lunch.

I felt a vibrate coming from my bag. I dug through to get it, but I couldn't find it. I looked inside of it but I didn't see it anywhere; I dug in deeper and finally came across it. Not watching where I was going, I bumped into something small yet hard causing me to lose my balance. I looked up, and saw the girl Chris was with yesterday in the parking lot. Blonde hair, blue eyes, nice body, and extremely beautiful. Of course she's form his past. She's beautiful. I couldn't help, but feel insecure next to her. I groaned inwardly, already feeling myself get jealous again. I seriously have to stop this. But he's made it even more impossible after today's little run in.