Chapter 16

Outside the Box

It's the end of March and the school is surrounded by tons of posters that relate to Prom. 'Get your prom ticket!' 'Prom!' 'May 17th Prom' 'Masquerade Theme!' And there are many more posters with different sayings.

The seniors are the ones that attend, unless a senior asks an underclassmen to prom, then they can go. Chris, being a senior, is going and so is Daniel, but neither of them have asked Jess or me.

Am I hoping Chris will ask me? Hell yea, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I haven't seen nor heard from Emily and Drake. However, I am not going to let my guard down. Any little noise I hear scares me thinking it's Drake. There are times when Chris comes up behind me and hugs me making me jump or yell at times thinking it's Drake. Even when a door opens my heart starts picking up. The first times my paranoia occurred Chris threw a fit saying that's why he didn't want to tell me. I don't blame him, but I'd rather know than not know.

"Daniel still hasn't asked me to prom and it's almost April!!! If he's going to ask me he better hurry his ass up before all the good dresses go out!" Jess said whisper yelling since we were still in class. Little does she know that she is going to be asked to prom today. How do I know? I basically planned the whole thing. Boys are c-l-u-e-l-e-s-s! I had to get Mr. Hunt to be in on the plan. We have 15 minutes before the bell rings for lunch. I guess it's time for the plan to begin.

"Yea." I said to her.

"I'm serious." She said and groaned. I mimicker her.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"What are you doing?" I repeated. This annoys her so much she'll eventually yell, and that will lead to Mr. Hunts part of the act.

"Melody." She said.

"Melody."

"Stop it!" She demanded.

"Stop it!"

"I'm stupid." She said to try and get me to stop mimicking her.

"I'm stupid." I repeated not backing down.

"Melody you know I hate it when people mimic me!" She said getting angry.

She groaned and so I groaned.

"Stop."

"Stop."

"Melody!" She yelled angry. I smirked and mentally cheered.

"Jessica! Is there a good explanation for you to be interrupting my class?" Mr. Hunt asked. Jess' eyes were wide, she was probably surprised at Mr. Hunt's outburst. He's not the type to yell or get someone in trouble.

"Mel-" She started, but then stopped herself and sighed. "No." She glanced at me and glared.

"Detention today after school in my class, no excuses!" Mr. Hunt said making Jess gasp and stand up from her chair abruptly.

"Detention!? What, why? I always do my work, that's not fair. I won't disrupt the class again, I promise! Can't I just get a warning?" Jess said to Mr. Hunt. I didn't think she'd take it this bad, now I feel guilty.

"Sit down and don't talk back anymore or you will get another Detention." Mr. Hunt said to her causing Jess to shut up and sit obediently. She shot me a pissed off look. Maybe I should have given Daniel another idea...

Riiiing.

Jess got up and barged out of the room, leaving me behind. I groaned and walked up to Mr. Hunt.