Chapter 9

Crazy Morning

I got to school extremely early Monday morning. Chris and I texted each other throughout the whole day yesterday and we agreed on meeting up at the coffee shop across the street from the school. I couldn't stop thinking about our kiss. I get butterflies every single time I think about it. Never in my life have I ever been excited to come to school on a Monday. I pulled out my phone. 6:45 AM. OK so, I came a little bit early, but hey can you blame me? I entered the coffee shop and stopped in my tracks. Chris was already here. My heart started beating like crazy. Maybe, he was also excited. I scoffed inwardly. Yea right.

"You're here early." I said making him jump. I giggled.

"Uh - yea, I had homework to finish up." He said rubbing the back of his neck. Was he nervous? I bit my lip. "You're early too." he said looking at the clock.

"Same excuse as you." I said with a sly smile. I took out my math notes so he'd think I wasn't lying. I do have a test today, so I can study for that.

"What did you do yesterday?" He asked dazing into my eyes.

"Um, chores, homework..." I said flattered by the way he stared at me. I cleared my throat. "I hardly know anyone here and I don't really know the city." I shrugged. If I knew the city, I would not stay locked up in the house. It is extremely boring. He nodded.

"I can show you around, but it's got to be a whole day, that way you can see what the city looks like during day and night." He offered. Is he asking me out again?

"I'd like that." I said smiling biting my lip. We gazed into each other's eyes for a while before he started leaning into me, we were about an inch away before we were interrupted. A chair was pulled out across from me, making it screech. Chris and I backed away immediately. I squinted at the sounded. I looked up to find Emily. I glared at her for interrupting us.

"Hey Chris, Marissa." She fake chirped.

"It's Melody." I said to her annoyed.

"What do you want?" Chris asked her annoyed as well. Was he mad that she interrupted us too? Well that's a stupid question; any guy would be mad if someone interrupted them.

"Well, I kind of overheard you asking Madison," she paused staring at me with a smug smile while I held back from glaring at her, "if she'd like for you to show her around the city and I was wondering if I can go with you guys. I know these fab-"

"No." Chris said interrupting her. "It's a date and I don't want any third wheels." I looked at Chris surprised. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep myself from smiling. So it is a date. I squealed inwardly, jumping inside my head.

"B-but, what about us?" She asked face full of hurt.

"There is no more us." Chris said rubbing his face. Her eyes were starting to tear up. I started feeling sorry for her.

"Are you-"

"Shut up." She hissed at me interrupting me, her eyes no longer watery. "You little slut."

"Emily." Chris said in a warning tone.

"Can't stand up for yourself?" She taunted me. "You should watch your back."

"Stop with your stupid little threats. You're acting like a psychopath ex. It's not cute; he doesn't give a flying fuck about you anymore, get it through your tiny little brain. And leave me the hell alone; you're just jealous that Chris is giving me much more attention than he's ever given you," I said back to her.

She laughed. "Please, if only you knew how much attention he gave me two weeks ago at my party." My stomach twisted at this and my heart stopped; she smiled in triumph when she saw the look in my face. She probably saw how much her comment broke me. "Cats got your tongue?" She asked tilting her head to the side pouting. "You should have seen the big smile he had plastered on his face when he saw me that night." She continued.