Chapter 3

Tori

            I didn't know what to think of Jayson's weird reaction and stuff. I just walked to where all the kids are.  I smiled a little for Jayson being a little stupid. It was really cute how he tried to hide his feelings from me. Sad thing for him is I can read eyes. I could tell by the way he looked at me that he had fallen in love. The moment I saw him there was something I liked. I forced these thoughts away. I was not going to kill another being for falling in love with me. I just couldn't take it again. All those who got close died. I blame my mother.

When we walked in the children overwhelmed us with yells of joy as they all surrounded us.They all yelled my name the moment I walked in. They tackled me as I went down laughing. This was the only time that I was actually happy. This is where humans and vampires coexist. They didn't really understand why vamps and humans hate each other. I hope they will never know. All the kids thought of me as pretty. I didn't know why. I'm sorry but I'm NOT pretty. I teach the kids how to survive. It was not really my time, but I had a bad feeling so I decided to watch over the kids and put Greg out on the front lines to guard the door. I don't trust the humans. They created this mess and now I have to finish it because humans don't live for very long. They are weak.
"Tori! Tori! Tori! Play princess with us! Play princess with us!" the whole crowd of kids shouted.
Then there were shouts of "I want to be the knight!" "I want to be the queen!" "I want to be your prince!"

I could only laugh at the children. So sweet and kind. "Ok, Ok we can play. Boys go with Jayson and he'll be the Knight in Shining Armor, and teach you to be knights." I could see Jayson glare at me and stick his tongue out at me like a child. I returned the gesture by sticking out my tongue. How I missed being a kid. I was forced to grow up too fast.
The girls grabbed an old dress that Rapunzel would've worn. The girls let my hair down and made it wavy. I was told to put on silver slippers. They put in a small terra in my hair.I smiled brightly and stood up to look at myself in the mirror. The dress has a tight top with little v-neck. The sleeves that looked like Cinderella's on her ball gown laid on my sunny tan arms. The bottom was flowy and was baby blue that went off to a sides. The v part of the skirt part was a light purple. It had tiny flowers that were a glittery blue. I smiled. Normally I wore a black type dress that looked like Mrs. Addams from the Addams family only without the makeup. I smiled.

I turned to see Jayson looking like a knight. He had the helmet and the chest plate. I couldn't help but laugh. The time went on, and so did the fun.
Then the red lights went on and darkness came. I have never changed so fast in my life. I threw off that dress and had my regular clothes on before you could even say 'blood'. I saw Jayson do the same. I whispered for the kids to get into the closet. They needed to be safe. I pulled out my katana that was 3 ft in length. The handle was 6 inches long. It was red leather with 4 bronze diamonds. The blade was a light stainless steel. I smiled as the blade shined. Jayson just watched me. He grabbed for a pistol and locked and loaded it. I looked at him in a crazy way. One in as if saying what the hell. Where the hell did he learn to shoot ? He was calm and had the gun cocked. I shook my head no. I knew his stomach wouldn't be strong enough. He didn't stand down.
"I will protect my princess. I am your knight." Jayson made a lame joke that I slightly tipped the corners of my mouth.

I didn't want him to get hurt. I mentally slapped myself. Victoria Elizabeth Helsing you have become weak. You are falling for a mortal. Your food, Your enemy. You have nothing to give them. They killed Daddy. You kill them.
My mind was racing. Heart pounding with adrenaline. (If I had one.) I knew what these creatures could do. I made Jayson lower his gun.
Then the true screaming began in a few moments.

The power went out. I don't understand how it happened. How did a Nightmare get down underground? I has some suspects on who let this monster in. I heard the blood and guts splat against the wall. These were deadly creatures. Jayson almost threw up. I cringed a little. I had seen so much of blood, guts, intestines and several body parts be thrown around. I grit my teeth knowing that those who die sometimes don't always stay dead.

"Ok kid you stay here. That thing will come in after the kids and I'm the first line of defense. Protect the children kid got it?" I asked. Jay nodded quickly.

Hmm Jay? What if I asked him about calling him Jay? It would be easier wouldn't it? Victoria get your head out of the clouds and KILL! My head screamed at myself.
"Jay I may die so goodluck" I touched his hand gently as if to say goodbye. I turned my head and the golden strands flew in the air. Jay watched as if not breathing as I left to fight the Nightmare.

Nightmares are creatures that are invincible. We haven't found a weakness. They were pale pearl white. It is a vampire type creature. It can also be mistaken for a zombie, but Nightmares are fast. They are twice as deadly and can lean after a few tries and tests. I know. I know what they are capable of. The jaws look like ones of a Goblin Shark. Rows and rows of deadly needle teeth to rip out flesh.The eyes were black like the pits of hell. No light. No emotion except to kill. They stayed in hunched over positions and had bald heads or very few hairs. The ears were sharp points like one on a bat. I screamed out as Greg's lifeless body dropped to the ground in a heap of blood and ripped up body parts. The thing about Nightmares is they multiply. They bite, eat, kill whatever to create more.

Greg was my personal body guard since I was born. He was my closest friend. I cared so much about him. He was gone like all the things that I cared for.
I screamed at the demon and ran at it blindly. I just wanted to kill this thing. I will find a way. Fear kept us from fighting, but I won't let this keep me away now. Family is family. I will kill this thing and send this thing back to its grave. I threw my body against the monster. I fell and my sword came from my grasp and skidded about 6 ft away from me. Great luck huh? The Nightmare lunged out at me. My hand went up to the creature's throat to keep him from biting me. I screamed out in frustration. The jaws that smelled like crap. There was flesh and cloth in the its teeth. I used all my strength to keep the creature's snapping jaws away from my throat. The Nightmare's jaws came closer and closer to my throat. A shot rang out and black ooze came from the Nightmare's head. The Nightmare went limp and I pushed it off of me. Jay was standing with a pistol raised. I was shaking. How did he? When did he? was all I could think.
I choked a little from not being able to breathe. Blood spit out of my mouth. I almost almost collapsed.