Chapter 7 (Present)

Emily's P.O.V

Those very words ring around and I shake my head trying to clear them out. After that day, over the next few months, Damon and I had a pretty great relationship. We went out on a few dates, went shopping together. He even introduced me to his pack, which all of them except one accepted me. I soon found out that the one who refused to even acknowledge my presence when I was around, was Damon's ex-lover. It had broken my heart a bit to think of him with another woman that wasn't me, but he had explained that all that had ended before we had met. And the only reason why she was even still around being because both of their parents were best friends. I knew Damon loved me and I loved him dearly, so I pushed it to the side and just decided to focus on our future, not his past.

The day we were going to complete our bond and mate I had spent with my best friend Sage trying to relax my nerves. While we were out shopping my father had sent me a mind link telling me that there was an emergency and that I needed to return home.

As soon as I burst through the front door I knew something was wrong so I headed straight for my father's office. My mother, father, his beta Nate, Nik and Drake. No Damon. They all had looked at me and I read almost the same expressions in their eyes. Fear. Sorrow. Pity. All that caused my heart to begin to beat frantically.

My mother approached me, tears shimmering in her deep blue eyes. "My darling girl, Damon..." She begun but her voice cracked.

My eyes widened and I shook my head. "Where is he? Is he okay? Mom?"

My mother bit her lip and my father pulled her to him.

"No one knows where he is sweetie." My father said.

"What do you mean no one knows? How can someone miss place an Alpha? Not just an alpha but someone like Damon? What are yall not telling me?" My anger began to rise and I felt Sage beside me. She placed her arm around my shoulders.

Nik then stepped forward. "There was another vampire attack. Drake and I were holding off the ones coming from the front, Damon was doing the same around back with some pack warriors. We then just lost all connection with him. After the fight we searched for him but all leads just ended. We couldn't speak to him through the mind link, but it was like a cut line. All trails of his scent we followed ended around the same place in the woods. There was no blood, no body. Nothing. He was just... gone." His voice wavered a bit.

My world spun as I shot through the office door and out the back door heading into the woods. As I jumped off the porch I shifted, midair, into my wolf. All my senses heightened as my wolf took on full control to find our mate. As we raced toward his pack, several thoughts started flooding through my mind. Why did we wait? Why didn't we complete the bond when we met? Why did I beg for time? I could have been there with him when this attack happened. He wouldn't have been alone.

"Emily! You need to come back home now. It's not safe." My mother's thoughts broke through my own as she sent me a mind link.

"No! I am going to find him. I don't care if it is safe or not. I need to find him." I sent back to her as I broke through his packs borders.

I didn't see many patrols out. Which, based on the recent attack, I thought was strange. That is something he is going to have to change.

I bust through the back door, people who were around avoided me easily. I searched the entire house, trying to sniff him out. I soon ended up at his office where his scent was the strongest. As I pushed through the door I was half expecting him to look up from his desk and smile at me.

But he wasn't there. My heart broke. I shifted and fell to my knees.

He's gone. He said he would not ever leave us. My wolf whined.