Chapter 20

Damon's P.O.V

We have been home for a few hours. Emily was still shaken up and exhausted. I made her lay down for a little while before I would allow her to see Crystal. It made her mad but she understood that her little girl couldn't see her in this state. I will wake her in a bit to have her eat and clean up. But for now I just sat here in a chair beside the bed to watch her sleep. I never really realized how beautiful she really was. Even with tear stained cheeks from all the crying she did for Todd, the shadows under her eyes and the bruise that marks her cheek. I wish I could bring that bastard back to life and kill him myself. She thinks I didn't see the marks on her back but I did. I just wasn't going to bring it up yet. She's been through way too much. Every time I thought about what she must have went through I wanted to bust through something.

Another thing that kept rattling around in my head is what Tessa, her wolf, said right before she killed Demetri. She was the true mate of the Alpha King. She said Ethan, which of course Ethan is Tessa's mate if they didn't have us as their human sides. So which would mean Ethan and I, being one in the same, were the Alpha King. But that can't be right. My Father and Mother were the Alpha and Luna of the Red Stone Pack. Not a King and Queen. I need answers.

I lean over and kiss Emily on her forehead. She sighs in her sleep and scoots closer to where I am. I reluctantly let her go and walk out of the room. I find Jacques down in his office with Drake and Nate. They were going over arrangements for the two funerals that will take place once the bodies are cleansed of and vampire blood remaining.

"Do you have and elder here who keeps track of records?" I ask him as I walk into his office.

He just looks at me and nods. "Mag. She has a small cabin at the edge of the forest. I know what you're seeking. If anyone would have your answers, she will."

I nod at him and turn to head out. Drake was hot on my heals. "If you go I go."

"No. I have to do this alone." I growl at him

"You never have to do anything alone. You chose to. But I AM going with you this time. I know what you are going to ask and I have to know as well, brother." He grumbles.

I roll my eyes. "Keep up then." I shift and start running toward the only cabin I know of at the edge of the forest. Drake was at my right flank. Even though I never wanted him involved in anything he was always there. He was the only one I could 100% count on to be loyal.

When we reach the area of the small cabin we shift and change into a pair of shorts that were hidden among the trees. I walk up to the door to knock but it swings open and a small woman with a willowy frame, long grey hair pulled into a bun, and piercing Green eyes stands in front of us.

"Damon Thorn. You're late." She turns and walks back inside.

I give Drake a look but her shrugs his shoulders. We follow her inside. "I am sorry ma'am. I didn't know we were expected."

She scoffs as she sets a kettle on the stove to heat up. "I have been expecting you since the day you were born. Your father was supposed to bring you to me so I can bestow your blessing. But its better late than never, hopefully you haven't gone through the ritual yet."

I give her a confusing look. "What blessing? What ritual?"

Her back stiffens and she turns to face me. "You don't know do you? Oh dear."

"What is he supposed to know?" Drake asks as we both sit on the couch she motions to.

She rubs her forehead exasperated before she reaches for a huge book and drops it on the table in front of me. "Open it. And I'll explain."