Chapter 2

Special thanks to Multix-fandomx for Zac Ramirez!

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 2

....................................................................

School strikes both fear and excitement into me, all at the same time. I've never once been able to completely decide whether or not I was fully okay with actually going to school. Ignoring the fact that it had been my decision to go to college in the first place, it still upsets me every year when we are expected to return yet again.

Our high school experience had been rough, to say the least. We'd been ostracized up through our senior year, and even then it had felt as though we were on the outside looking in. Our outsider status had only been given to us because of our close friendship, however. Which, made absolutely no sense to me. I had always lived by the terms that two friends are better than one.

That explains why I'd somehow ended up with both Alan and Lewis instead of one or the other.

Going to college had opened up an all new realm, full of new opportunities that neither of us had been able to capture before. Chase had been able to pave his way into the tech club within seconds of stepping foot on the Berkeley campus. Whereas I had weaseled my way into a small position with the school paper. It had somehow turned into a full on job, in which I had to constantly write about the happenings on campus or those of any other location. If it was interesting to college kids, I was probably writing about it. I didn't want to be a journalist, per say, but it was the closest thing to creative writing I could get. Plus, I needed the exposure. I'd never really had any recognition for anything I'd written.

Shaking, nervously excited, I glanced over to see the sheer look of concentration on Chase's face as he parked the car. The engine slowed itself down upon Chase turning the keys quickly to the left. His movements had become flawless after so long at the wheel. He never let me drive. I really can't explain why. His eyebrows were furrowed together ever so slightly, while his grip on the wheel loosened just a bit. He looked as though his mind was somewhere else, just as my own had been mere seconds ago. I just needed to know where he had gone during our small car-ride to the school.

Chase reached down, his fingers flicking down against the seat-belt buckle just long enough for the belt to come flying out of its holding. He gave me a small smile as he silently noted my gaze. I could already feel a blush covering my cheeks. I hated when he caught me like this.

"You're cute when you do that." Chase mused meekly. A frown took form on my face with his words.

"When I do what?" I shot back. I had to be defensive at times. It was hard to tell whether or not he knew how I felt about him. Lewis and Alan had particularly big mouths to boot. The odds were definitely not in my favor when it came to this fictitious, one sided, will they won't they game I had gotten myself into.

"When you blush." Chase laughed, the man quickly opening his door and stepping out onto the pavement. I shook my head, not wanting to press any further. On top of having to start school this morning, I needed to find a way to ditch Chase before class. Lewis had specifically texted last night that we should meet up before bowling first period. Lewis still had something important to tell me, and it evidently couldn't be written down somewhere, or texted from one of our phones. No paper trail or history to delete. This was classic Lewis, though. He likes to keep things strictly on an international spy type level. "You coming?"