Chapter 17

Remember to check out Something Real this Saturday!

My last update of 2016! What a wild ride... But remember! I've got new stories launching on January 1st! Thanks so much for sticking with me everyone!

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #338 in Chick Lit

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 17

....................................................................

I had always feared becoming one of those people with their heads' stuck in the past. It was as if they never grew up after that one incredible day, or that one amazing time in their lives. They merely choose to stay put in the glory days, ignoring the present and all that it had to offer.

I was growing more and more fearful of getting left behind as the days of my fight with Chase dragged on. This weird feud between Chase and I had left me wishing I could turn back the clock, that I could go back and make things right before they ever went wrong. Without Chase, I had the constant feeling that I was missing something.

But luckily enough for me, my mind had finally made it's way back into the present; and Chase had even inserted himself back into my life. Things felt oddly good for the first time in a long time.

"Lewis wants me to run lines with you later," Chase continued as we strolled aimlessly down the path nearest to the parking lot.

"Why?" I groaned. "I was just running lines with him during bowling. That's all Lewis has done for the last two days. He's relentless. Lewis isn't even grilling Alan that badly about this stupid play."

During our infamous bowling class this morning, Lewis had decided to shout lines at me. This would have been fine under normal circumstances, but when I'd turned around to look at the door to the bowling alley halfway through the class, Zac had walked in.

The happiness on his face had dissipated the second his eyes locked with mine. But what was even worse was the fact that he'd handed the teacher a note from his advisor.

He was dropping the class, and it was all because of me.

After that, Zac merely walked back out of the class. He didn't even bother to say goodbye. Not that I blamed him, I had known that our breakup hadn't gone the best. I didn't expect us to be best friends, that was for sure. But I had at least though we could try and be civil with one another.

Zac evidently didn't feel the same.

"I'm exhausted, Chase," I whined once more as I tossed my head back dramatically. "Lewis won't give this up!"

"He can't," Chase said, stopping just in front of me on the path. "This is one of the most important things to Lewis right now. He hasn't stopped thinking about it for two weeks straight, and we both know he hasn't been sleeping because of it. We've got just over a week left and the kid is determined to stay up in case anything goes wrong. He even made a triple expresso latte this morning."

"I didn't even know those existed," I laughed before shoving Chase forward and towards the cafeteria.

Chase shook his head, "they don't. Lewis invented it at breakfast this morning. He convinced the lunchroom staff to let him take a crack at making his own coffee. He's been seriously hyped since then."