Chapter 5

Huge thanks to BillyXXUnger for the character Astrid Free!

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #355 in Chick Lit

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 5

....................................................................

For the first time in years, my best friend didn't talk to me for four days straight. The school days had come and gone, along with the classes Chase and I actually had together, and he still didn't say a word. It was Friday now, and I had my date with Zac later; The date that had officially driven Chase and me apart. Whatever had transpired between the two of us over the last few weeks, had really set Chase off. Enough to the point where he could barely look at me, let alone talk with me.

With every day, came something new that I wished I could share with Chase. One of the weirdest things I was longing to tell him, was about Alan's feelings for me. That little piece of knowledge was one of the biggest things to ever happen within our group, and I couldn't even tell Chase about it.

Despite being able to discuss these problems with Lewis, it just wasn't the same. The friendship that Chase and I have stretched out much longer than any other friendship I had ever had before. Lewis was more of my second best friend, the friend I went to when things weren't that important. The friend I would go to when I needed a laugh was Lewis. But the friend I go to when I need to talk is Chase. We had always been there for one another, and I hated that things were changing in this way.

"Shakespeare." The professor droned on as the teaching assistant handed out the worksheets for the weekend. English three was exclusively for college juniors who had chosen to major in English. Of course, there was always a few seniors enrolled that had failed the year before. But never in my wildest dreams would I have pictured taking this class with Alan sitting right beside me.

"This lesson sucks," Alan muttered, gaining the attention of the teaching assistant as she handed the worksheets to us. I gave her a gentle smile. I hated offending people like her. I think her name was Ashley or something to that effect.

"You would know." She shot back sarcastically, looking almost shocked at her own response. I could feel my own eyes widening. For as long as I had known the girl, and I hadn't known her long, she had always been very reserved. I knew she probably had a personality hidden in there somewhere, but I had never imagined that I would see it.

"I'm sorry." I shook my head. "My friend is incredibly rude, to say the least. By all means, put him in his place." I said, making sure to keep my voice low as the professor was still ranting on about Shakespeare. I glanced up to watch a small smile grow on her lips.

"I didn't mean to put him in his place." She shook her head, glancing down at Alan. The man in question was currently avoiding her gaze. "It's just we had this class together last year." She went on, attempting to get his attention as she set the papers down on his desk.

"I figured." I sighed, looking the girl up and down quickly. I needed to find one recognizable feature about her, one that would trigger her name for me. I would hate to call her by the wrong name. We had only talked once while in journalism last year, and that had merely been about the font to use for the article of that week. But her name wasn't coming to me.