Chapter 25

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 25

....................................................................

Things always seem happen when you need them to. It's as if someone's watching over you, and making sure that each and every step you take is the right one, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time. Sometimes, even the worst situations can end up being the most enlightening.

I've always lived by the mantra that any life experience, is an experience worth having. But that's not to say that I don't dread certain experiences more than others.

I tried to keep my head down when English three came to a close on Friday, but inevitably, Alan had to walk by me. I was sitting right next to the freaking door, anyways.

He stopped, looking down at me expectantly. He had this patience about him that I could never really understand. He could wait me out easily enough, especially if that's what he wanted to do.

"You can't sit there forever," Alan prodded, tapping his left foot against the ground gently. "They've got to close up campus sometime."

"What about night classes?" I teased, looking back up at him as I did. "I could just say I'm auditing a class, or something."

"Ha, ha," Alan mocked before falling into one of the chairs in front of me. "For real, Bree. We can't keep avoiding each other. I don't even know what I did wrong."

"It should be pretty easy to figure out, then," I smiled snidely his way. "Does the name Shawn ring a bell? Or does it just give you insane flashbacks to you guys' kiss before the play like it does me?"

Alan's cheeks were burning a dark shade of red with my words, "what?"

"You know what," I hissed, leaning towards him. "A week ago? When you two kissed! You've been leading on one of your friends for months now, Alan! That's not okay."

"What the hell does that have to do with you?" He countered, narrowing his eyes on me.

"Well, when I see something I'm not supposed to-"

"Get real," Alan snapped. "What does it have to do with you?"

"At first glance, nothing," I agreed. "But when you add in the fact that you're supposedly in love with me, I'd start to think that I have everything to do with this."

"I'd beg to differ, Bree," Alan shook his head. "This concerns Shawn and I, not you. Get that through your head before you start butting yourself into situations like this."

"I saw him kiss you, Alan," I whispered. "So I'm already involved. I just want to know why he felt the need to. What did you do to make him fall for you?"

"That's obviously none of your business," Alan smirked. "If Shawn has inappropriate feelings for me, that's his problem, not mine; and it's certainly not your's."

"Bree?" Astrid called to me out of the blue. I took in a deep breath as I glanced around Alan's huge head. Astrid was waving me down towards the front of the lecture hall. "Could I see you for a sec?"

I nodded before shoving my things into my bag. Thank god for Astrid, I was more than done with Alan for the day.

"Hey," Alan hushed as he reached out to grab my wrist. "We're not done talking about this."