Chapter 8

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #424 in Chick Lit

But ALSO, we're almost at 2k reads! That's incredible guys! Thanks a million!

*There will be a special update on August 31st to go along with The Watty's closing*

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 8

....................................................................

Regularity was one thing I had always had in my life. Whether this was regarding Chase and our friendship, or the town I had lived in since I was born; everything had been kept the same. Despite the fact that I had always felt as if nothing could ever happen, there is inevitably a time in everyone's lives that some things have to come to a close. Change is around for just that reason.

Change pulls the rug out from under us when we're most comfortable. Change spins us around until our sight gets blurred. Change makes you wonder if what you're doing is correct. But worst of all, changes ensure that things are different; no matter how much you want things to stay the same.

These new and inevitable changes started the second that Chase and I had met Alan and Lewis. Every day brought something new for the four of us. Although at times I did enjoy the aspect of not knowing what was coming next, these current changes were beginning to bother me.

One of these new changes just happened to be my lunch plans.

"I don't know," Lewis said. "I'd have to really think about it."

It was needless to say that it felt weird eating in the cafeteria with Alan and Lewis. Not only was Chase missing from my side, but this environment was totally new to me. The constant stares from the other dining hall regulars didn't help ease my nerves as I picked at my food, either. Yes, I had been in the dining hall before, but I'd never ordered anything more than a water before racing out. Though, like I said before, things had changed.

"So you're telling me that I can't move in with you guys?" I asked, getting a sure head shake from either one of the friends in question.

"Lewis already said he'd think about it," Alan reminded. "But that's a no from me." The man was still solely concentrated on the pile of mashed potatoes sitting in front of him.

I gave Alan a glare, one he finally caught onto after completely devouring that same like of food. With my glare, his face had turned bright red. "What?! You guys got so upset when you saw me with Zoey on Friday. I don't want to give you a new reason to hate me every weekend." Alan defended smartly. Although I was mad about Alan's 'decision', he did have a point. I would be absolutely disgusted with his weekend flings if I was ever to live there with them.

"Fine." I shook my head, shifting my attention to Lewis. "What about you?"

"I'm on the fence about the issue." Lewis sighed as he turned to look at me. "You're going to have to let me know why you want to move in first. We don't just accept anyone, you know. I'm pretty elitist when given the chance." Lewis rambled on, the man gaining an aura of self-righteousness that I hated more than anything.

"I have literally been one of you guys' best friends since the beginning of last year." I reminded, narrowing my eyes in on my current best friend. Lewis had practically replaced Chase over the last week and a half. He had also been my only savior from Chase's advances.