Chapter 28

Dedication goes out to AspiringAuthor19 !

Highest rank on the hot list over the last few weeks - #203 in Chick Lit

A sneak peek is up on the site now! If you guys could continue to vote and comment, that would be great!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 28

...................................................................

There comes a time in everyone's life when you start seeing things a little clearer. A moment of clarity, if you will, when certain things start to make themselves known.

I got my moment of clarity after my fight with Alan.

It was as if a few more pieces of the puzzle began to fall into place, and now that I was beginning to see the bigger picture, I was left feeling all the more stupid about how I had handled myself this last semester.

Alan had been right about one thing, I had strangely pitted Alan and Chase against one another at some point. Though they hadn't really gotten along from the start, their supposed feelings for me had made their friendship all that much worse. But now that I knew what I had done, and after I had finally owned up to it in my own mind, I was starting to look at something else a little differently.

My feelings for Alan had merely been a distraction. They were never real, and they never would be. But now that Alan was out of the way, I was left to deal with my true feelings for Chase for the first time in a long time.

The weird thing about Chase and I was that we were best friends; always had been and always would be. Neither of us knew how to cross that line, and now that we were actually at that line, we were too scared to move forward.

I guess some things, or some relationships, are never meant to change.

"What's twelve multiplied by five squared?" Lewis droned on, tapping his pencil anxiously against his math textbook as he did. I half felt bad for him, he was still stuck in general education classes for the rest of his second year of college.

I had give up math a long time ago.

"You have a calculator, don't you?" I teased, nudging the object forward a bit with my finger.

Lewis let his eyes open and close a few times before he finally reached out and picked up the calculator. "I just thought you'd have the answer memorized."

"What in the world gave you that idea?" I laughed, shaking my head at him.

"Well, you tutored Alan in math last year," he reasoned. "I just thought-"

"I didn't retain any of the math that I took," I interrupted, "and I certainly didn't retain any of the math that I helped Alan with."

Lewis nodded simply, instead turning his attention back to his textbook.

I pursed my lips together awkwardly as a new kind of silence fell over the two of us. Things had been a bit different between all of us this last week, and one of the biggest differences, was Alan excluding himself from the group. I hadn't seen him, spoken to him, or texted him since our big blow out fight almost a week ago.