Chapter 27

Dedication goes out to EvilWishes !

Highest rank on the hot list over the last few weeks - #442 in Chick Lit

A sneak peek IS up on the website now! If you guys could continue to vote and comment, that would be great!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 27

....................................................................

At this point in my life, I thought that I had gotten through my fair share of firsts. Despite all the crazy, dramatic things that had gone on over the last few months, I had pushed through, knowing it would pass. I always thought that things would go back to normal, that I would look back on all those times in my life and laugh.

Lewis leaving town for good, was no laughing matter, and it certainly was a first for me.

Even as I had gotten back to the apartment after he had told me, his words continued to play over in and over in my mind, haunting me. I honestly couldn't see my life without him. But apparently, life had another plan for our little group.

One in which the buddies rule wasn't our only problem.

Lewis had finally caved a week ago and told Chase what was going on. He was shocked to say the least, but he was more than happy for Lewis and whatever new life he would lead in Los Angeles. Chase showed almost no emotion if the topic was ever brought up, unlike me. I had been a wreck since Lewis had told me, and that had been almost a month ago.

Alan on the other hand, was in just as bad of shape as I was.

According to Lewis' texts, Alan had once again gone MIA. Though this time, he wasn't staying with Shawn. I knew that for sure. After what Alan had done to isolate himself, leading Shawn on and all, I was surprised he even had anyone left.

But that was Alan for you; he had most likely managed to find himself a new girlfriend to sleep around with for the time being.

"You haven't said much this morning," Chase noted as we walked.

Today was one of the last we would be seeing Lewis, and strangely enough, that included helping him pack. Chase insisted that we walk over to campus, saying that we need to talk about things for once.

He was still pissed at me for keeping Lewis' secret for so long.

"I don't know what to talk about," I said honestly. "Lewis is leaving. It's like our whole group is falling apart."

"It doesn't have to," Chase shook his head at me. He reached out, taking my hand into his and squeezing it reassuringly. "We still have each other."

"Do we?" I sighed, pulling my hand from his grasp. "I've barely seen you all month, and I've been the only one helping Lewis with all of this. Moving from city to city and school to school isn't easy, you know."

"I know." Chase groaned, running a hand through his hair as he did. "My stepbrother is leaving. When we first met Lewis, I thought that we'd never get along. Now..." Chase trailed off warily.