Chapter 20

Huge thanks to Polar_Wolf13 for her character Alex!

Dedication goes out to AspiringAuthor19 !

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #403 in Chick Lit

Goal: 3 Votes and 4 comments.
And I'll post a sneak peek up on the site!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 20

....................................................................

It was a known fact that my father and Chase's had always wanted for us to get together.

Since Chase and I were little, they would go on about how one day we would get married and have kids of our own. They would tell us how they could see this spark between us, one that would never die out. They would tell us that being friends first was the key, though now, I was starting to think it was the lock holding us from our full potential.

Knowing each other for as long as we had, came with it's drawbacks. We could tell when something was off with one another. We could catch onto our hidden feelings with just one glance, and with that, came the awkwardness there after.

I wasn't sure how much longer we could stay in the friend zone without it having major consequences.

"I'll catch up with you at play practice," Chase called as he walked off towards his next class. I smiled, watching as he quickly made his way towards one of his many chemistry classrooms. I could never understand why he would want to go into such a mentally taxing profession. But, he loved it, and I admired him for that.

The weekend had gone by without much notice. The donor's ball had been exactly what all of us had expected. The event was boring, and filled with awkward conversations between ourselves and our parents. My father and Chase's had of course asked about our relationship status, for about the fiftieth time just this year, to which we explained our friendship hadn't changed.

We had left out the few kisses we had shared over the last few weeks.

Though with Lewis by our side, of course the buddies rule came into question. I had almost forgotten that my father had drawn up the papers for us almost two months ago.

The rest of the weekend was much simpler. We'd gone out for pizza after the ball, and the day after we were forced to finish up homework. I hadn't realized just how far behind I had gotten in school, what with the play and all.

I sighed to myself before finally making my way down the path and towards my English three class.

I hadn't seen much of Alan since Friday. After what had happened, I didn't blame him for not making a huge effort to make time with me. He had Astrid to worry about, he didn't need to be worrying about our twisted relationship status.

I strode into the lecture hall, finding my usual seat on the edge of the isle. The teacher was arranging things on his desk, and Astrid, was sitting just adjacent to him reading some book I didn't know. I sat down, pulling out my books and a pencil before feeling a presence at my side.