Chapter 16

Had to create my own character for this one. The second half of the story is upon us. Hope you all enjoy!

Highest rank on the hot list over the last two weeks - #470 in Chick Lit

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 16

....................................................................

I had always felt weird about surprises. I couldn't ever make up my mind about them, namely because, I wasn't ever expecting them.

It wasn't like I was gullible or anything, I was actually quite in tune with what was going on around me. But with certain people, people like Lewis or even Chase, I tended to let my guard down.

It was nearly two in the afternoon when we walked into the pizza place. It wasn't packed by any means, and it never had been. Though it wasn't the most popular restaurant in town, it was the first that came to mind if you wanted a great pizza. It also happened to be right next to campus, which made it an easy walking distance for three hungover college kids.

The pizza place looked like an old Pizza Hut from about ten years ago. They had dull blue carpeted floors, and the walls were covered in a faded yellow wallpaper with small, cartoon pizza slices patterned onto it. There were red seated booths lining the far wall and the wall to left as you walked in. In the center, there were a few black painted wood tables and chairs set up, though no one ever sat in them. There was even an arcade set up to the back right. All the games were quite outdated, but we still found the fun in them.

Since the four of us had been here so much over the last year or so of college, I was able to pick out our favorite booth at the drop of a hat. That's why, when I glanced over to that very booth sitting in the far left corner of the restaurant, I froze.

Sitting in our usual spot, was Chase. He looked nervous to say the least, and weirdly enough, he was facing the other direction. He and I always sat on the opposite side.

I bit hard into my lower lip as I whirled around to look at Lewis. "And what in the world is Chase doing here?" I mocked as I crossed my arms over my chest.

Lewis merely shrugged, "I think he likes pizza. Maybe he's here for some pizza."

"Yeah, that's got to be it," I nodded before slapping Lewis in the arm. "Why didn't you tell me? This whole situation has your stupid name written all over it! You love pushing us into these scenarios just to see if it all turns out like it does in the movies!"

"Okay, maybe I have a problem!" Lewis whined as his hand flew up to rub the now sore spot on his upper arm. "But if I told you, you never would have gone along with it."

"The boy has a point," Alan teased. The man threw an arm around Lewis' shoulders, all while keeping his sight trained in on the back of Chase's head. "We all need to talk, Bree. Things have been weird since the semester started. I've barely seen either one of you, and neither has Chase."

Lewis' eyes widened a bit with Alan's statement. "Yeah," Lewis scoffed. "If Alan suddenly thinks we need to make amends, then we've got to do it."

I rolled my eyes and turned back to look at Chase. It had been common knowledge that Chase and Alan had never really gotten along. I hadn't understood the running hatred between the two, it always seemed unexplainable. Like how Chase had hated Zac back in school. I just never got it.