Chapter 3

Highest rank on the hot list over the last month - #163 in Chick Lit on 6/25/16!

We've actually been ranking up in the 300's and 400's all week without even trying...

Also, Buddies Rule has joined the Wattys 2016! Read/Vote/Comment as much as possible!

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 3

....................................................................

Secrets. Secrets have been holding me back for the majority of my life. I had been trying to hide my feelings, trying to make sure nothing ever changed, and for what? What good was I doing by not telling the one person I cared for the most how I truly felt?

I knew why. Chase could never know because of what it could do to our friendship. There was, and always would be, a question of what if. It didn't matter if we never went through with a 'real' relationship, or if we spent the rest of our lives together. I would always be wondering if we could work as a couple, and now I've come to realize that Alan has been feeling the exact same way about me.

It sucks not knowing things like this.

"You were lying." Chase hissed into my ear, the man then falling back into his seat at my side. I shivered at the feeling he had left me with before standing up from my own seat. What had happened earlier, was almost irrelevant to me. But to Chase, that little white lie was plaguing him to the utmost degree. Especially since Zac had joined our bowling team for the semester.

"I wasn't lying." I hushed, feeling my face grow red as I reached down to pick up a bowling ball for myself. When signing up for this class, I had been under the impression that it would be fun. A calm, cool, collected, and complete blow off class that I could take with my three best friends. Turns out, Alan never even signed up, and that was why Lewis was freaking out so much about schedules the night before. Lewis was worried he would have to take the class alone.

"You were," Chase repeated, shaking his head at me. I rolled my eyes and stepped up onto the lane, my shoes slipping slightly as I took slow steps on the slippery surface. It was morning, they'd just waxed the floors. My clumsiness was nowhere near helpful in this kind of situation. "And since you were lying, why not just tell me why?" Chase led in as he followed me up to the lane. He kept his voice low before looking up at me, his eyes showing just how concerned he was about the little situation I had created.

"Chase!" Lewis called. Our friend began to motion for Chase to step down from the lane before pointing to the teacher. "Talk to your girlfriend later! The teacher's going to fail you for the day if you keep doing that!" Lewis laughed along as Zac patted him on the back. Chase huffed out an exasperated breath as he nodded back at the two.

He turned to me only once more. "This isn't over," Chase whispered before walking away. I took in a deep breath upon finding myself alone on the bowling lane. Every other 'team' in our class was beating us. The only reason why you asked? I actually sucked at bowling, and I had been distracting Chase from the game. So really, the reason we were losing, was my fault. Not to say Lewis doesn't suck, either, but it was still my fault.

"Come on, Bree!" Lewis yelled, catching my attention for only a second. "We don't have all day!" He chuckled with Zac again over on the sidelines. The two chuckle-buddies had parked themselves just above the team resting area near the ball return. Meaning they were standing far, far away, from where they were supposed to be. How the teacher wasn't giving them some sort of detention or grade deduction, was beyond me.