Chapter 4

Important updating info in this A/N. If you guys could read, that would be great!

________________

© 2016 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

The Buddies Rule

Chapter 4

....................................................................

The entire ride back to campus, there wasn't a single word spoken. The silence ate away at me with every passing minute that we sat in the car. At least Lewis had been able to ride along in the back seat, simply scrolling on his phone. I had been stuck up front, sitting right next to the mad man himself. Even when getting out of the car, Chase strode off without a word.

"Chase!" I tried calling after him, only to be left stuck in the same silence from before. Chase had left both Lewis and me without one explanation as to why he had been acting so weird. I was still just as confused as I had been before.

I rolled my eyes as we watched Chase's figure slowly fade into the distance. The bell would be ringing any minute now, and I wouldn't be having any other classes with Chase for the rest of the day. I wasn't even completely sure if we shared the same lunch period. There was no way to know when we would have a chance to talk about this.

"What crawled up his-"

"Stop it," I warned, holding up a finger to Lewis to stop him. "I hate it when you say stuff like that." Lewis held up his hands in defense, the two of us walking along the black pavement together.

"Did something happen before that? Before Zac asked you out?" Lewis spoke, following just behind me as I stepped up onto the sidewalk. I shook my head, not wanting to discuss this with him. "It sure seems like more's going on."

"No."

My friend laughed gently and shook his head. "You sure about that? Cause you said you two got in a fight before you met up with me-"

"Okay." I groaned, running my fingers through my dark brown hair. "Maybe Chase and I got into a fight last night, too. Things started to change a couple of weeks ago. We started fighting, and I really don't know why." I finally breathed, feeling a slight weight being lifted from my shoulders. I hated talking about Chase and I's friendship if things weren't going as they usually do. The only good part about talking things out was Lewis understood. Especially since he was on the rocks with Alan right now, as well.

"What have the fights even been about?" Lewis scoffed. Seeing as Chase had gotten so angry over the stupidest of situations, I wasn't surprised that Lewis was asking.

"Nothing," I said honestly, my mind falling back to the night before. "We're not even fighting about anything."

"And you two were fine last time we saw you guys," Lewis recalled, motioning to me as he did. The four of us had met up nearly two weeks before for dinner at one of our favorite pizzerias in town. Everything had been fine until then. But since that dinner, things had been off between all four of us. Forgetting the fact that Chase and I had been fighting, or that Alan and Lewis were on the outs with one another, the four of us hadn't met up as a group since that night.

"Yeah." I nodded as I came to the realization. Chase and I had been perfectly fine until that dinner 'date' with the boys. "Did he and Alan ever talk, alone?" I asked, trying to remember for myself. Alan knew how I felt about Chase and had for a while now. If he really did have feelings for me and said something to Chase the other night, our group really was in big trouble.