Betrayal (You x Haytham)

The sun had finally set, and had now been replaced by countless stars, which twinkled brilliantly against the blackness of the sky. A near full moon hung low over the horizon, bestowing a very dim light upon the land. It was a cool, windy night; winter had finally begun to set in.

The sound of thundering hooves pounding against the cobblestone streets echoed off the walls as you raced through the desolate streets. Mane billowing recklessly, nostrils flared and snorting, your horse whinnied with urgency as you rammed your heels into his flank, urging him faster.

Time was quickly running out.

For days you've tried convincing yourself that ending his life was for the best; and in a way it was. He is the enemy, after all. A Templar. The assassin side of you knew that in order to restore power to the Brotherhood, a blade needed to be driven through his throat, but the other side of you, the one that had been weak enough to fall in love with him, would not allow him to be killed.

Your horse gave an angry snort as it charged its' way through the small platoon of British soldiers, knocking them down onto the wet and muddy cobblestone. Getting to their feet, two of them started running down the street after you, but after realising you were too fast, quickly gave up and continued on their way.

This shouldn't have happened. If only Achilles had sent another to fulfil the contract then none of this would ever have happened. Haytham would not be wandering into the trap that had been set for him; Connor would not be patiently waiting to drive his blade into his unsuspecting fathers' throat; and you certainly would not be risking your life, or betraying the Brotherhood, in order to save the life of the man you had sworn to kill.

Your grip on the reigns tightened faintly as you steered your horse through numerous alleyways and cluttered streets. A loose rope dangled from the lamp post where a few kids were playing earlier. A fine haze blanketed the city and the soft glow of the flickering lanterns illuminated the street. The tall buildings had become black silhouettes against the occasional burning light of a friendly window. A pungent smell of urine filled your nostrils, the price paid for the primary transportation in the city - horses.

No. You couldn't blame Achilles for anything that has happened. It wasn't his fault. This wasn't anyone's fault but your own. You knew what your goal was and yet you still allowed yourself to get close...to fall in love. A stupid, unforgivable mistake. A mistake that will inevitably wind up getting those you care about hurt, or worse, dead.

The cobblestone street finally came to an end at the city's borders and you were now galloping across the trampled dirt path through the forest. You knew the winding, rutted road well for you had travelled it for many years on business, but this time you didn't stop to admire the trancelike beauty nature had to offer. The only thing on your mind was the fact that right now Haytham could be lying on the floor in a pool of his own blood.

You struggled to understand how you had allowed your emotions to become so entangled, to care so much for someone. Never have you cared for a human being as much you had to come to care for Haytham Kenway. Two years ago you received the most important contract of your life; kill the Templar Grand Master. But of course it wasn't that simple. Achilles wanted you to gather as much information as you could on the Templars and direct it back to him and Connor. So, you had taken the cover of a simple maid. It allowed you to get close, too close unfortunately, and learn all of his secrets. Every confidential letter, every list of names and locations, every hushed word between Haytham and his conspirators, you had given it all to Connor; only now you wish you hadn't.

Haytham's villa, secluded by dense native foliage and surrounded by flowering plants, soon came into view. You were surprised at how at home you felt as you neared. Of course you had spent every day for the past two years at this villa, but deep down you knew the homeliness you felt wasn't due to the amount of time spent inside the walls. The floor-to-ceiling windows, whose dark curtains were rarely drawn, were all dark apart from one on the bottom floor.