When You Propose to Your Mentor

So here's the thing...I had - have - a Tumblr account where I began posting Assassin's Creed Preferences. But I don't really use it much because...honestly, I forgot I had one xD Anywho, I decided to post it here for you all to enjoy~

------------------------------------------------

Altaïr:

Your swords came together in a terrible clash.

Night had fallen, and all that could be heard was steel scraping steel and laboured breathing. The hours had passed slowly, and your body was feeling every second of it. The blade became increasingly harder to hold, your blistered palms and throbbing arms begging for sweet relief. Sweat poured down your forehead and into your (colour) eyes, the stinging momentarily blinding you, but there was no time to wipe them clear.

In the beginning you were on the offense, just as Altaïr had instructed, but now all you were capable of doing was warding off his blows, too tired to advance against him. Altaïr was stronger than you initially imagined. It was simple to see why he had risen to the level of Master Assassin at such a young age, and why Al Mualim favoured him so.

As the struggle wore on, you searched desperately for an opening. Some hidden opportunity to gain the upper hand. But Altaïr blocked every move, and every advance seemed to be anticipated before you had a chance to get a single hit in.

His blade swung hard, colliding with yours, the reverberation causing your grip to falter on the hilt of your blade. Altaïr - seeing an opportunity - struck at once. Time slowed as he knocked the sword from your hand. You watched it flip and fly overhead, finally coming to a rest somewhere in the tall grass.

The cold tip of Altaïr’s blade sent a shiver down your spine as it was pressed lightly against your neck. He smirked as your eyes met his, “I must say, I’m impressed.”

“Impressed?” You repeated, eyebrows knitting together. “But I failed.”

He sheathed his blade, and, with the back of his hand, wiped the sweat from his forehead. “What makes you think you have failed?”

“Because not once did I defeat you. I lost my blade every time.”

“True,” he agreed with a nod. “But I never expected you to defeat me. All I expected was for you to learn enough in order to hold your own against me, and you succeeded. You made a lot of progress today. I’m proud of you.”

The sound of approval in his voice was enough to make your stomach flip. “I…thank you, Altaïr,” you mumble while turning your head away, cheeks growing hotter by the second. If only he knew how much those words actually meant to you…

And that’s when it happened. The words that had been lurking in the darkest recesses of your mind finally came to light. You didn’t want to say them aloud, but your body offered no other choice. “Marry me?”

A pair of golden orbs widened; it was a rarity to catch your mentor off guard, but when you did, it was oddly satisfying. “Marriage? But…we have never discussed such a thing. Why?”

You swallow down the lump that had formed low in your throat. “Because I love you, Altaïr. And…I grew tired of waiting for you to ask me for my hand.”

He continued to stare, his penetrating gaze making you pray that the ground crack open and devour you whole. But then the corner of his mouth quirked upwards into a faint smirk. “Alright then - I accept your proposal. But don’t think I’ll start going easy on you during our sparring sessions.”