All Assassins

"I'm not doing it," you repeated for just about the hundredth time that night before bringing the shot glass to your lips.

There was not enough alcohol in that bar that would be even remotely enough to get your ass up on that stage. No way in hell were you singing. The concept of stripping down to your bra and panties and dancing stripper-style atop the bar was more appealing than standing up there and singing karaoke. It was like a bad string of American Idol auditions, and as entertaining as it was to watch, you weren't willing to partake in the self-humiliation.

"Neither am I," Altair, who shared your views of karaoke, pulled up his hood and sunk further into his seat in attempt to disappear.

Edward slammed his beer down onto the wooden surface of the table and patted Altair firmly on the back, a lopsided smile on his face. "Come now, lad, where's your sense of fun?"

"Fun?" Altair repeated with a scoff, shrugging the Welsh man's hand from his shoulder, "There's no fun in this. Only humiliation."

"Oh, come on, Altair - don't be such a, what's the American expression? A stick-in-the-mud?"

Altair turned to Ezio with irritation written across his features, earning himself a smirk from said Italian.

"I don't see any of you giving (Y/N) a hard time about not participating," Altair smirked, then winced as your elbow dug itself into his ribs.

"Don't worry," Jacob pulled up a chair from another table and squeezed himself between you and Altair. "(Y/N)'s not getting out of it so easily. We'll have her up and singing before the night is over."

You shifted away, putting some space between the two of you, and frowned, "Over my dead body. I'm only here to drink and watch the rest of you make complete idiots out of yourselves."

"Ah you say that now, lass," Edward leant forward in his chair, resting a tattooed arm atop the table. "But the lads and I will have you and Altair both up on that stage whether you want to or not. Perhaps you two will end up winning and do a Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand duet."

You and Altair glanced at one another and rolled your eyes. Honestly, you're not even entirely sure why you had agreed to come tonight, because you didn't even know this group very well. You had only met Altair, Ezio, Arno, and Edward once or twice before. Connor and you were well acquainted due to the fact that you both work together, though your encounters were usually a polite head nod whilst passing each other in the hallway and a small exchange of pleasantries in the coffee room. And Jacob...he's been a constant pain in your ass since high school, but you couldn't imagine life without him.

He was the reason you were now squished into a tiny booth in some smoke-filled bar on the other side of town when you should be at home, curled up on the couch with a bucket of ice-cream and wearing your comfortable pyjama bottoms with the hole in the crotch. Unlike you, Jacob is pretty sociable, with the kind of laid-back, playful personality that people tend to gravitate towards. He can be ridiculously charismatic when he wants to and it's almost mesmerizing to watch him work a room.

"I hope I get 'Bohemian Rhapsody'," Arno announced, ripping the book from Connor's hands.

"Now that's your typical clichéd karaoke song right there," you muttered, going to take another sip of your drink only to realise that your glass was empty.

Connor's lips twitched, his brow furrowing as he reclaimed his novel and began flipping through the pages. "Haven't you learned by now that you don't have the voice to sing Queen?"

Arno's face fell, a look of mock offence taking over his handsome features, "Surely you must be joking? When I'm up on that stage singing, I set the room on fire - I'm like a French Jon Bon Jovi."