A Tragic End (Edward X Reader)

Looking down at the crowd from your place atop the cart, you couldn't help but wonder how it had come to this.

The streets of Nassau were lined with onlookers, some of which you had befriended, some which you had not seen before today, and others who had prayed for years to see you hanged. They were the most vocal, tossing insults and spitting as you passed.

○●○●○●○●○●
Edward's hands fell from the helm before the Jackdaw had completely docked. The crew watched in stunned silence as their captain leapt over the side of the ship, boots landing heavily onto the dock below. Adewale screamed after him, but Edward had no intention to stop. He couldn't stop. Not now. Not when your life hung in the balance. He had to reach you...before it was too late.

○●○●○●○●○●
Nearing the town square, where the gallows patiently awaited your arrival, the crowds grew thicker, louder...scarier. The atmosphere was similar to that of a carnival, with excited chatter erupting from various different groups, and a couple of people cradling picnic baskets as they position themselves within throwing distance of the gallows.

Maurice, the Innkeeper, watched silently from the doorway of the inn, giving you a sorrowful nod as the cart rolled passed. A few of the children that would listen to your tales of the high sea were being ushered inside, but not before turning and waving. You wondered if they even knew what was happening. Bridget, the Madam of the local brothel, and your most trusted ally, cried bitter tears as she watched you pass. She began to follow the cart, hand outstretched, but came to an abrupt halt as one of the Redcoats escorting you raised his musket in warning.

Abuse was flung forth from both sides as the cart passed through the narrow path cleared through the crowd. Fingers were pointed. Accusations and vulgar words were hurled in your direction. They spat and jeered. Handfuls of mud were tossed, painting your flesh. It was becoming increasingly difficult to remain dignified as you approached your fate.

○●○●○●○●○●○●
Edward ran.

He sprinted across the beach, kicking up sprays of sand with each heavy step. The incline sucked the strength from his legs, forcing him to move at a slower pace than he wished.

For the first time since stepping foot into Nassau, the beach was deserted. Most people would see it as a paradise; a pleasant change from the drunkards and pirates normally found ambling up and down the shoreline. But to Edward, it was a sight powerful enough to make his blood turn to ice.

Please. Please don't let it be too late.

○●○●○●○●○●○●
A stocky, muscular man, fashioned in a leather waistcoat and black hood, stood atop the platform. The noose swung gently in the early morning air. Redcoats lined the front of the gallows, keeping the uproarious crowd at bay. With the growing daylight, the realisation that this was to be your final morning on earth finally hit you, and you felt a fear which you had never experienced before. You weren't ready for this. You'd never see another sunrise. You'd never sail alongside your crew ever again. You'd never again see Edward, that glorious son of a bitch. All you could see before you now was the black abyss of death; an empty, dark unknown ready and willing to engulf your very being.

○●○●○●○●○●○●
With every minute that passed, the sky lightened, and he knew it was only a matter of time until he lost you for ever.

Edward glanced over his shoulder, the group of Redcoats he managed to attract attempting to catch him, but they never would. Not today. They were much slower then he was, and clumsy in their actions, they bumped and jostled their way through the tight mass of bodies, shouting as they went, hoping to make the crowd part so they could pass.