The Box (You x Shay) (Modern Day)

You sat on the edge of your king size bed, nervously fidgeting with your fingers as you stole quick glances at the cardboard box that sat high on the shelf in the back of the closet.

The box.

It has sat in the exact same place since the day you had moved in five years ago and still you had no clue as to what lay within. Being the good wife you are, you had always respected Shay's privacy, but curiosity was beginning to gnaw away at your mind and you just had to know what he was hiding. If Shay found out though he would blow a gasket, so if you really were going to do this, you had to do it fast.

You looked towards the bedroom door, listening. The shower was still running, buying you time. Making your way to the closet you moved aside all the other items that have sat there gathering dust and, with trembling hands, pulled down the box and set it on the end of the bed. This is it. Time to find out what he's been hiding all these years. Your heart beat wildly inside your chest, fearful of what lay within.

You grabbed the corner of the already peeling sticky tape and ripped it from the slightly battered cardboard box. You opened the flaps with a held breath and peered inside.

"Hey, (Y/N), did you use my toothbrush again?" Shay's sudden voice made you jump out of your skin.

Your (colour) eyes widened as Shay appeared in the doorway wearing nothing but a towel around his waist and his green toothbrush in his hand. Water dripped from his hair, rolling down the broad expanse of his chest to his hard-ridged stomach. Instead of trying to hide the box, which should have been the main priority at that moment, you allowed your eyes to travel up and down his body.

Noticing your flushed cheeks and lustful gaze lingering on the loosely wrapped towel hanging dangerously low on his hips, Shay smirked seductively, "Like what you see, love?"

He slowly strutted closer to you, his smirk widening, until his dark eyes landed on the open box sitting carelessly on the edge of the mattress. He stopped, paled, stiffened. His expression turned serious, his voice low as he asked, "What are you doing with that box, (Y/N)?"

"Uh...what box?" You moved to the side in attempt to hide the box from Shay's accusatory eyes, but it was liking trying to hide Godzilla behind a car. He had caught you snooping.

Whoops.

A million excuses raced through your mind but none of them plausible. Perhaps you could distract him, but how? A kiss? No, that won't do. Maybe you could flash him? That certainly would distract him, but not enough.

"(Y/N)?" Shay's voice interrupted your thoughts. "Did you look inside it already?"

"No!" You shook your head wildly.

Shay narrowed his eyes, moving around you to inspect the box. "The tape has been peeled off. You did look through it already!"

"I didn't, Shay. You caught me before I could get a good look inside," you admitted guilty, now finding the floor the most interesting thing in the room.

"I can't believe you go snooping through my stuff when I'm not around!"

"I do not snoop!"

He stared at you in disbelief, "I just caught you snooping."

"Well, yeah...," you rubbed the back of your neck sheepishly. "But this was the first time, I swear!"

Shay grumbled beneath his breath and shook his head, causing tiny droplets of water to flick onto your skin.

"I can't believe you would betray my trust like this. I specifically asked you not to look inside this box, yet you go and do it anyway," Shay frowned as he rested his hand atop the box.

"I'm sorry, honey," you said, placing your hand on his arm. "It's just...I hate the idea of you keeping secrets from me, and this box is the biggest secret of all."

Shay was silent.

You fixed your gaze on the box, "Shay, please, just tell me what's in there. How bad could it possibly be?"

You certainly hoped nothing bad was in there. What if there was a body in there? Nah, a body wouldn't fit in there. A head, probably, but after five years you'd assume the house would reek. But what could be inside?

You had to find out.

"I'm sorry, (Y/N), I can't tell you," Shay picked up the box and headed for the closet, only to have you block his path.

"I want to know what's in there," you said firmly, crossing you arms for emphasis.

Shay narrowed his eyes, "No."

"Shay."

"(Y/N)."

"Let me see inside!"

"No!"

Alright, enough is enough. You lunged for the box in his hands, but he was quicker than you, and managed to keep it safely out of your reach. He held it high above his head and smirked down at you. Standing on the tips of your toes, you stretched your arms as far as they could go, but to no avail. He was too tall.

"Need me to fetch a step-ladder for you, love?" He teased.

You glared at him, causing him to chuckle. You may not be able to reach above his head, but you certainly were able to reach the rest of his body. You smirked to yourself as you raised a hand and quickly tickled his armpit. A surprised laugh escaped him and he flinched. The box jerked and slipped from his hands. Time seemed to pass in slow motion as the box fell to the ground. Both yours and Shay's eyes widened as it hit the ground and its contents came tumbling out. Shay quickly knelt beside the box, his cheeks turning red.

"I never wanted you to find out about this," he confessed, desperately trying to throw everything back into the box before your (colour) eyes could fully absorb the items that had spilled across the bedroom floor.

But it was too late. You saw everything.

"Shay," you said softly, joining him on the floor. "This is what you've been hiding from me? Why?"

He avoided your gaze, "I was...embarrassed. I was afraid of how'd you react if you ever found out, and now that you have, I..."

You cupped his face, forcing him to look at you. You gave him a gentle smile, "Honey, why would you be embarrassed about something like this?"

"I just assumed you might think it childish of me to keep all this junk, you know? At my age."

"Well you know what? What's the point of being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?"

Shay stared at you in surprise, "You mean, you like it too?"

You grinned, "Are you kidding? I love Dr Who! I wish you had shown me this stuff years ago."

Your eyes scanned across the Dr Who memorabilia on the carpet, from little Daleks to a toy TARDIS. You picked up the iconic multi-coloured scarf from the old show, wrapped it around the back of Shay's neck and pulled him in for a kiss.

You pulled away with a sly smirk, "Can I ask you something?"

"Anything, love," Shay said, smiling softly.

"Well...is that a sonic screwdriver in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

A sexy smirk overtook his features as he whispered huskily, "Why don't you find out for yourself?"

You giggled and pulled him in for another kiss.