Be my Mentor (AltairXReader)

@ScreechingLife
Requested by ScreechingLife. Sorry it took so long. I kept rewriting in hopes of getting it perfect. I hope you enjoy it!

--------------------------------------------------------

Blood.

So much blood.

Figures surround you, corner you, grab you. They hide behind masks. Their laughter, cruel and demeaning, reverberate against the walls.

Rope binds your wrists and ankles. The coldness of the ground makes you shiver. Noises deafen you. Consume you. Furniture being tossed aside. Your mother's frantic screams. The cries of your younger sister as they drag her outside. Grunts of effort, of pain, of failure. The unmistakable sound of steel piercing flesh. Your father falls, then your brothers. An ocean of red.

Air nips at your skin. Fabric is torn from your body. You struggle, scream, but it's not enough. They're stronger than you. Hands. So many hands, grabbing, frenzied, demanding. Then...pain. Searing, white hot pain. It's unbearable. Agonizing. Your mind barely registers that someone new has arrived.

A man...cloaked in white robes.

He fights them. He's outnumbered, but somehow comes out on top. He kills most of them. The others flee before they, too, fall to this mysterious man's blade.

He kneels beside your broken form. His lips move, but you're unable to process the words. A hand brushes your cheek and you flinch at the sudden contact. The hand withdraws, an apology muttered. Your body is lifted and warmth envelops you. A pair of strong arms cradle you, protect you, soothing words being murmured. You feel safe.

Heavy eyelids force themselves open. All you can see is crimson. Crimson drenched steel...crimson splattered walls...crimson rivers...

...A crimson cross.

----------------

Pain erupts across your back as the earthen ground greets you, scraping your palms. You lay for a while, motionless, struggling to regain your breath.

"What causes your distraction this time, (Y/N)?"

Rauf hovers above your beaten form, momentarily guarding you from the harshness of the sun raging wildly overhead. A pained gasp escapes your lips as you force yourself into a sitting position, despite the furious protests from your aching muscles.

"Nothing," you ground out through clenched teeth. "I'm fine." Accepting the outstretched hand, Rauf pulls you to your feet with ease.

But you weren't fine. Not in the slightest. That terrible day still haunts your every waking moment. Every night is spent tossing and turning as their laughs tear apart your mind. Those monsters...Templars...were still out there. Somewhere.

A sigh escapes the more experienced Assassin. "We have been over this many times, (Y/N). You must keep your mind concentrated on what it is you are doing, at all times. You cannot - dare not - allow your mind to wander as it just has. Such wandering could have dire consequences. Keep your mind focused on the task at hand. On your opponent. On victory."

"I'm trying, Rauf." Your tongue darts out, catching the drop of blood seeping through the slit on your bottom lip.

"I understand that, (Y/N), but unfortunately time is of the essence." Rauf leaps over the wooden railing of the training area, offers you a hand, and helps you over. "The Master grows tiresome of your lack of progression. He feels you are wasting, not only his time, but yours as well."

The muscles in your jaw tightened, "Do you think I'm wasting my time?"

Rauf placed a hand on your shoulder, but feeling the muscles beneath his hand clench, quickly withdrew, an apologetic smile visible beneath his hood. "I think that's a question you should be asking yourself."