Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Nighttime may be the time for slumber, but there were times when my siblings and I were simply to energized by the presence of one another to sleep. Instead of returning to our quarters for slumber, we transported ourselves to Geara's garden.

It was an area reserved solely for such an occasion. There were insects that lit up like small flames of a candle, in shades of gold and blues, dancing in a slow drunken twirl in the air, until my siblings and I arrived, and they perked up, like flowers in the morning sun. They bounced through the air and flew past, brushing through my hair and sliding along Xiphrus's arms to brushing Geara's cheek as if to give her tender tiny kisses.

With the lights of the insects and the glow of the moonlight overhead, casting a silver glow upon the soft grass, there was no need for candles. My eyes flickered and focused on the sharp outline of everything in the garden, from the massive tree at the center to the rows of flowers and tall grasses lining the gravel paths that wound about in the foliage. The area in which we stood was made of soft grass, clear of plants, trees, and leaves. It was clean, well kept, and provided the perfect space for our next actions.

Xiphrus started first, doing a slow full turn into the middle of the clearing before he drew two fingers to rest above his upper lip, and he blew a steady stream of white light into the air. The white light twirled and spun, as if the magic had a mind of its own, and it dissipated into the night sky. He threw his two fingers out, blowing at the same time, another stream of white spiraling into the sky, and he turned the stream of breath into slow puffs, so the white magic came in circles.

Geara laughed, delighted by the sight and she joined Xiphrus in his display of magic. She threw her hands up, fingers flaring out as if she were embracing the moonlight and a golden burst of magic showered out into the air, scattering like golden dust. She stepped back and spun around, her arms over her head, gold magic pumping from her hands into the air. The gold became a fine mist, like that found at the bottom of a waterfall.

The white stream of Xiphrus's magic swirled into the golden dust, carrying it higher into the sky so that any creature in the surrounding area would witness the display.

A smile threatened to tug at the corners of my lips, but I quickly stepped in with my own. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath, concentrating on the delirious joy that made me feel as if I were floating. I drew my arms out slow, spread my fingers out, then drew it in, taking a deep breath of the fresh air that was now electrically charged with power, and blew the breath out, throwing my hands out at the same time, sending a blast of smoky pale blue magic. It spiraled out in a puff, and as I took another great breath and flew, the magic shot faster, its smoky path fading behind it as it caught up with Geara and Xiphrus's display.

The color flashed brightly, lighting up the entire garden and spiraling into the air to explode to shower the sky with a fine colorful mist that faded for only a brief moment before we worked up the magic again and threw it into the air.

Around us, the insect hummed and crooned. The small flame bugs appeared thrilled with the display, spinning and fluttering about excitedly, zooming up to join the magic, falling down with the shower before rising back up again with the column of white, gold, and blue.

Geara laughed as a particularly loud burst of magic exploded into the sky. Xiphrus grinned and sent a blast of white to power through, catching the gold and blue mists, tossing them up higher into the sky until we were positive that the other creatures had caught sight of the magical show and come forth to see.

The air around us tickled and buzzed, the faintest giggles coming and I caught sight of the shadows around us dancing. This time, I allowed my features to soften, a smile touching my lips as Nyx and Erebus leapt into the fray, darting in and out of the shadows, gathering up their own black shadow magic into their palms, tossing it into the air.