Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three

The realm was so much darker in reality than it was in the hologram.

It was like all the color had been sucked from the world. Everything was gray or black. Even the grass appeared to be dried up tufts of gray sprouting from the black soil. The sky overhead was a blanket of thick black clouds with the occasional flicker of colorless lightning, the trees black charred skeletons clustered together in clumps for warmth against a bitter cold wind that howled as it sailed around the fortress ahead.

We appeared in the middle of the field between the mountain range and the fortress. Immediately the groups came together and Athena reminded everyone of their direction, choosing to join Hannibal in his battle against Atlan. I looked at the Savior while Athena gave our her orders. He was just as a soldier should be; rigid, ready for battle, attentive. And my eyes lowered to where Akin had laced their fingers together tightly, and my eyes went to Akin's face as he listened to Athena. He looked a little less ready than Hannibal, worrying at his bottom lip and eyes that kept glancing off to the side at Hannibal.

He was desperately trying to draw strength from his husband. And I noted that so, too, were the rest of Deliverance as they glanced at Hannibal, then at Athena.

"Alright," Lucifer said, turning to our group, "St. John-- Or. Uhm."

"St. John is fine," I answered quietly. He nodded, but he appeared uncomfortable now as he looked away.

"Lead the way to the tunnels. We'll go in a separate entrance than that of Satanika so we can stay apart, in case we're ambushed. Everyone do a tech check before we go down there in case we need to call in assistance," he explained. Everyone double checked their weapons and supplies to ensure their working order.

"Don't use your magic," I added when Theo snapped his fingers to start a spark, and he looked up with a scowl, "The less magic, the longer you'll last. Here, you must rely on your physical capabilities." Theo cursed, opening and closing his fists.

"Son of a bitch. You could've told me that before we left," he muttered, averting his eyes. I shook my head and went to my holster, unbuckling it and buckling it around his waist, making him frown.

"I won't need this. This realm doesn't harm me as much as it will you. Use what you can." He looked embarrassed with the help, but muttered something akin to "yeah whatever maybe thanks i guess probably". I shook my head before I double checked everyone else. The rest of the Hades clan appeared to have brought weapons of their own and communication devices that synced with the rest of the groups.

While everyone checked their own devices, I sought out Hannibal, who was allowing Akin to do his long black hair in a sleek ponytail over his shoulder. As I approached, Akin stepped back and Hannibal looked at me, curiously.

"I have to apologize before this begins," I said, making him frown, "I have avoided speaking to you directly for quite a while now when I have wanted nothing more than to hold you, in a purely platonic manner. I've known you for a very, very long time from a dream perspective. I was told not to interfere with you and your path, and it seems now that your path has been followed straight and true and I want to thank you... and apologize for not being able to save you." Hannibal gave his head that slight, questioning tilt. I smiled briefly at something that reminded me so much of his mother, Lea, who was currently punching Dania in the arm playfully as they made a joke.

"I met you in a vision in the future a very long time ago," I told him, watching him straighten in surprise, "You came to me in my darkest hour, you, your husband, and your mother. You gave me hope and you set me on my own path. And it killed me every time I dreamt of the pain you were suffering and I could do nothing, but watch. At times, being the most powerful creature in the universe, is not all its cracked up to be. My power can only reach so far before my wrist is slapped."