Chapter Four

Chapter Four

I woke in my chambers two days later, feeling as if I'd been thrown into the sun and dragged back out, only to be beaten with a tree limb. My entire body ached, right down to my bones, and the chill that remained there had me shivering, grasping for my blankets, only to feel them draped upon my body a moment later.

I snuggled down under, pressing my face down against my pillow, listening to what sounded like rain falling gently outside. The storm had ceased. Now a gentle pitter-patter of rain fell outside. I forced myself to open my eyes, despite the pain throbbing behind them. I found myself staring at the window to confirm that indeed the rain fell softly, and boiling water steamed from the kettle and a glass tea cup sat on the bedside with a tray of uneaten fruits and bread.

Seated in a wicker woven seat, and wearing only a pair of snug black leather pants, was Xiphrus, leaning forward with his arms over his knees, watching me intently. I blinked a few times to focus in on his face, the worried thin line of his lips pressed tight together, those icy blue eyes scorching me with their intensity.

And, surprise, surprise, my body instantly reacted to that heated stare, and I silently thanked the Source for the heavy blankets laid upon me to hide my reaction. I said nothing, just stared back into Xiphrus's intense blue eyes, watching those brows dip down in a frown.

We said nothing for a while, simply stared at one another before Xiphrus took a deep breath and finally relaxed. He scooted closer to the bed so he could reach a hand out and lay it against my cheek, a cheek that felt hot to his cool palm.

"I'm glad you recovered," he murmured softly. His words sang to my heart and I wanted to smile, but somehow, I found myself unable to. Even more so as I remembered what had happened before my slipping into unconsciousness. In particular, I remembered the slight tilt of Atlan's lips. I swallowed at the memory, but thought it best not to bring it up to Xiphrus. I was unsure why, possibly the idea that Atlan would be amused by the situation offending Xiphrus, who appeared to have already sold his heart to the creature.

"Thia," I said after a moment, "How does she fair?"

"Well," Xiphrus replied slowly, then frowned, "Though, she remembers not of what happened to her, she appears to be fine overall. Her health has returned to normal. Her color, her smile, her eyes. Her vessel appears to function normally. Quite frankly, it was you who suffered the most."

"I care not for that," I responded simply, then sighed and settled among the blankets once more, "I am relieved that she fairs well. I should hope Geara is keeping her close, just in case." Xiphrus nodded.

"She has asked Thia to remain as her ward for a time. Just until we know she is safe. For now, Geara has asked us to investigate the matter." He need not explain that part. I was already investigating, despite having been unconscious for a while. I was suspicious of Atlan's smile, of the fact that he and Xiphrus had been the one to stumble upon the body with me. It had been a swift attack, but a brutal one.

Her neck had been broken and she'd been strung up by her ankles, tortured clearly, but then tucked away in the trees, as if whoever had done it was ashamed of what they'd done and hoped that out of sight, out of mind would come into play. Unfortunately for the perpetrator, it hadn't worked out that way.

I wanted to tell Xiphrus of my suspicions, but if I did, something told me that Xiphrus would be extremely offended of my accusing his lover of murder. I wasn't entirely certain either. I was just jumping to conclusions based on a biased view of Atlan.

I didn't hate him. In fact, every fiber of me hoped Atlan hadn't been the one who'd done it. Atlan appeared to calm, rational, mature. He was the opposite of Xiphrus, but exactly what Xiphrus needed in order to maintain a level head and proper behavior. Atlan was polite and coureous and I truly enjoyed his presence... if not as much as I enjoyed Xiphrus's.