Chapter Fifty-Three

Chapter Fifty-Three

"I haven't worn this thing in fucking ages."

I looked up from where I was adjusting my clothing to see Zeus standing in front of a three panel mirror set, frowning at his reflection. His expression was uncertain, perhaps even a little disturbed, and a smile tugged at the corner of my lips as I stepped away from the closet to approach him.

He looked positively radiant, not that he needed me to tell him that. He knew how beautiful he was. His look of uncertainty came more from wearing the crown on his head as opposed to how he looked with it. He wore a steel gray three piece suit with a matching tie. The crown was a beautiful gold leafed circlet with a blue sapphire gleaming at the center, one that matched his eyes wonderfully.

So regal, so confident.

Yet he didn't appear pleased with the crown, reaching up to fiddle with it once more.

"What's wrong?" I asked, approaching him. Zeus blinked, then met my eyes in the mirror, his frown deepening.

"Last time I wore this was when we inducted Lucifer into the United Pantheons," he muttered, studying his reflection, "I hate these things. You sure we can't just skip it? We can give the hybrid his gift after this whole ordeal passes." I rolled my eyes at that, then leaned in so I could nip at his ear, and he shuddered, cutting me a hungry stare.

"No," I scolded him, giving his ass a pinch and he grimaced, "We've waited eternity to see this and I will be damned if we miss it because you're feeling camera shy." Zeus grunted, then looked back at his reflection, and then his eyes slid back over to me, taking a moment to scan me from head to toe in a way that made me feel... beautiful, for the first time in my life.

I dressed in a simple black suit, white top, gold tie, but opted for leaving the jacket out. I'd also pulled my hair up into a bun, nothing too fancy. Just enough to mingle well with the other creatures at the ceremony. Zeus appeared to approve of my appearance either way, as he slid an arm around my waist and jerked me up against him, so I could feel exactly how much he approved of my outfit.

"If we weren't running low on time," Zeus growled at me, a smirk spreading across my lips as I touched his chest, "I'd strip you right here, right now, and fuck the shit out of you, you know that?" I leaned up close to him, teasing his lips with mine.

"Funny, I was thinking the same thing," I responded. Zeus flicked his tongue out across his lips, gave me a quick kiss, so it wouldn't lead to the very loud and hungry fantasy playing on a loop in his head. I shook my head at him, adjusting my clothing once more as I took a deep breath, glancing over at the clock, and a wave of anxiety pushed its way into my chest, tightening everything up.

In just a few short hours, the moment the universe had been waiting for would finally take place. Hannibal was going to accept his crown, and Akin, too, would become a king. In the formal documents, of course, he would be listed as Hannibal's consort and his abilities were limited in comparison to Hannibal's, but that was only formally. Everyone knew damn well who called the shots, but Akin wasn't the type to abuse that type of power, and that was what made him not only a perfect king, but a perfect husband and master to Hannibal. He understood power, he cradled it, didn't take advantage of it. Even though Hannibal had given him all the power to do so.

The ceremony itself was going to be overflowing with leaders and their consorts from all over the universe, special guests including the children of both Hades and Lucifer, as well as myself among others. It would definitely come to over thousands of people in attendance. The event was set to last until midnight where Hannibal would give his first speech as King of Atlantis. Putting it off until the last minute didn't surprise me, given Hannibal wasn't much for speeches and preferred to use his fists whenever he could. Unfortunately, this was an event that required the exact opposite.