Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Xiphrus did not leave his quarters for three days.

His agony was a dark cloud within our home, no longer making it feel like a home. Desperate to escape the woe that was beginning to affect my own mood, I dressed in a pair of black pants and a loose fitting nearly transparent white top and wandered into the garden that currently lacked Geara's presence as she was off doing business with nearby creatures to determine the cause of Thia's attack.

I remained to watch over Xiphrus, to ensure he did nothing to cause harm to befall himself nor others.

Finding solace in the garden, I swept down the paths, listening to the soft churn of small stones beneath my feet, the gentle breeze tickling the tree leaves into a hoarse giggle. The sun was warm, but the air was a tad chilly, but not enough to require heavy coverings. The rays leaked out through occasional fluffy clouds rolling through the sky. The flowers perked up, their colorful petals waving in the wind, stems dancing.

Occasionally, an insect flew past, darting falling leaves and tossed grass, its presence only made by the soft hum of its wings as it hurried on with its day. The birds were oddly silent, only the soft croon of a dove fading into the wind, pausing for a moment, only to continue again.

It was a peaceful afternoon. A quiet one.

But one that did not much to hide the sorrow that wafted from our home in heavy fumes.

I turned to stare up at our home, a towering black gem that glinted in the sunlight, causing the wind currents to strongly wrap around it, throwing another gust into my face, blowing my hair back. I took a deep breath of it, then turned to look about the garden.

Even I could admit, I was a bit depressed with the recent display of events. In the three days since the argument unfolded, there was not much progress in the investigation over Thia, and she was beginning to cope with the fact that someone had made a mistake and attempted to brush the whole thing off, instead focusing her efforts in assisting other creatures in daily activities or by simply providing a listen to emotions stirred by knowing that they were not as immortal as they had hoped.

Such a discovery had spread quickly and aroused fear. Frequently our doorway was crowded with creatures weeping in fear, wondering if the Source had abandoned us, if we could truly be killed so quickly, so easily, without anyone knowing until it was too late.

The balance was corrupted. Fear and worry drove creatures to stay hidden within their homes, to withdraw from communication with the others. No longer did we have festivities in the garden, and the clearing that had remained opened was no longer occupied by frolicking and playful laughter. The grass had begun to grow taller from lack of attention, sprouts of yellow weeds erupting amongst the grass. It was beginning to blend into the meadow just beyond.

How troubling, I thought, brushing my fingertips across the flower petals. How lonely.

I rounded the corner to head to the large tree at the center, only to pull up short to spot Death standing beneath the tree, staring up at its purple leaves. The sun reflected from his black eyes much like our home, the wind ruffling through blonde hair that scattered across his face and fell back into place. He wore a long black coat made of thin flimsy material that clung to his young lean body, a pair of pants that held tight to his skin, matching his top. He appeared to be lost in thought until my feet crushed the stones of the path and he straightened, turning to face me.

"I meant not to disturb you," I said, and he relaxed his pose, "Have you come for Geara's counsel?" He shook his head and I inclined mine in understanding as I approached, coming to a halt beside him and pausing to tilt my head up at the leaves that fluttered overhead, a few pulling loose from their stems and scattering to the ground below.