Chapter Fifty-Four

Chapter Fifty-Four

"Can you believe this?"

I turned to Xiphrus, who appeared at my side to watch the room fill with gods from all across the universe. His sky blue eyes glowed with awe and pride, sweeping the room with the shine of hope. I smiled slowly, following his gaze across the room. As the coronation ceremony itself was to begin, the room filled with gods that had befriended one another. Atlanteans and Greeks, Hellions and Norse, Japanese and Celtic, even Heaven and others. The laughter was infectious, the conversations deep and meaningful, every word murmured in sincerity, with hope for the future.

"I haven't seen something like this in... eons," Xiphrus added in a low whisper.

"It's beautiful," I agreed softly, "I'm glad you decided to stay and see this." Xiphrus smiled, turning to look at me. He reached up to cup my cheek, his eyes studying my face before he leaned down and placed a chaste kiss on my forehead.

"Thank you for being there for me, Joxeia. Even if I have not been able to do such for you."

"Xiphrus--"

"I mean it," Xiphrus said, studying me, "I have... made so many mistakes in my life. I also allowed my heart to be so easily stolen away from you, and we both know that it had always been yours to begin with. But you've found someone to take care of your heart, someone to love it and cherish it dearly. I could ask for nothing more. Just that you enjoy it." I blinked at his words, staring at those intense blue eyes that still continued to remind of the skyline. Such a vivid shade of blue. So powerful, so deep, and once so innocent. There was a haunted shadow in his eyes, one that I knew would perhaps remain there forever.

Ever a reminder of his mistakes, of his own pain.

And gods did I want to just reach inside and make it go away, but it was one thing I couldn't do, because it was Xiphrus, and only Xiphrus, who could ease that pain away. And it would be a long, painful process.

"I love you, Xiphrus," I said softly, reaching up to brush the hair back over his shoulders, straightening his medallion, then I gave it a pat and smiled, "Always and forever, brother mine." Xiphrus swallowed, inclined his head.

"I love you too, Joxeia." He walked away to stand by the platform with the other Deliverance members as Hannibal and his family returned to the stage. This time, the room was practically overflowing as the Atlantean gods joined the guests. The audience was a unified diverse gathering as their eyes watched Hannibal take the center stage and Lea come forth with a black velvet lined box, a smile of pure motherly pride spreading across her lips.

I watched her stop before him and he turned to face her, his mismatched eyes searching her face. She smiled, slowly opening the box to reveal the crown inside. A beautiful golden circlet with two rubies and a sapphire in the center, made of intertwining leaves on vines, spiraling together and creating a gorgeous work of art.

Zetnos appeared at her side to take the box as she lifted the crown from its velvet cradle, raising it up. Hannibal knelt down slowly, his eyes going downward, and I felt a moment of panic come over him, a moment where he hesitated, wondered briefly if he could stop everything now. His eyes lifted and sought Akin, who stood right beside Zetnos, looking down at him with proud blue eyes that glimmered with tears of joy.

Hannibal looked back down at the floor, dropping one knee to the platform with a thump that echoed through the silent room. His resolve solidified. He'd started it, and he was going to finish it, and he was going to do what his predecessor never could. Rule with love, rule with power, rule with greatness, and care, kindness, and strength. And on the days when he felt he wanted to give up, he would look into Akin's eyes and draw his strength from the one power in this universe that sat above all others.