Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

As with all wars, there were casualties.

Lucifer's hope for Hell was mostly well received. A surprising amount of supporters had gathered behind him on his journey to colonizing Hell. Unfortunately, Hell was occupied not only by those who were seeking better life, seeking hopes and dreams. Hell was also occupied by criminals who thrived on the chaotic evil that lurked in the shadows of this realm. It was those creatures who refused to be caged, who refused to bow on one knee.

And it was those masses that made turning Hell into a civilized realm damn near impossible.

While my body twitched for the battle, held a sickening urge to get into the field with Lucifer and join him on his bloody path through the realm, I did not follow Lucifer. Instead, my duty was to remain behind in our new home on the shores of the Black Sea with Jaques under my wing at all times.

Our new home was a massive fortress, in the same place upon which I found Lucifer, beaten and bloody after his fall from his former paradise realm. Surrounded by two stone walls that disappeared into the Black Sea, the castle at the center was the main hub of activity most days with officials Lucifer had hired, generals he'd recruited, and so many more. Tall towers allowed watch over the outermost land, which was quickly developing around the fortress itself. It was safe to say that this was going from Village Number Six to Hell's main capitol.

I walked down the main hall of the castle, a tall corridor made of stone with long velvet white and gold draperies hanging down the length of the walls, massive wrought iron chandeliers hanging overhead with candles that lit the hallways up. At my heels, Jaques hurried along, a silent prodigy that had matured much faster than he needed to.

And day by day, he was looking more and more like his beautiful mother. Thick black hair that fell to his shoulders, parted on the side, dark eyes ever watchful, ever vigilant. Skin the color of fresh cream. Although his coloring was much like his mother's, his nose and his lips were shaping more to Lucifer's.

How fascinating to watch this creature take on the features of both parents, yet to maintain a look that was entirely his own.

"St. John!" I slowed to a stop at the meeting of two other corridors and the main entrance, the doors of which were wide open with armed guards standing watch, and the bustle of the fortress outside the only noise. I turned to see Lucifer's head general approaching from the corridor that led from the Grand Hall.

Marshall was a tall, intimidating man, but yet still stood shorter than myself. His dark skin was heavily inked with tribal tattoos that ran from his neck to surely his ankles and wrists, and his eyes were a fascinating mismatched set of dark brown and blue speckled with golden flecks. His head was shaved on one side while the other was occupied by several rows of tightly braided hair that ran along the side of his scalp. Currently, the male vampire was dressed in a tiered black leather breastplate with a matching set of greaves and vambraces.

"Prince Jaques," Marshall paused briefly to bow to Jaques, who just took a couple steps to get behind me so he could peer up warily at the vampire general, "St. John, have you received word from Lucifer yet?" I shook my head, frowning at the peculiarity.

Normally, Lucifer sent word of his daily activities to keep the home base from fretting about his status. It was strange that he hadn't done so on this day.

"Damn it," Marshall cursed, clenching his fist so his leather gloves creaked and I raised an eyebrow, watching him grimace and offer an apologetic smile to Jaques, who just frowned at him, "My apologies, young prince. I am merely concerned. I will contact the other generals and pinpoint his whereabouts. In the meantime, I should also like to inform you that I've found a governess to assist Jaques in his studies. Her name is Aisha and I am told she is, indeed, so great to have even tutored several gods. If you do not find her satisfactory, I will endeavor to seek one that is to your liking."