Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"I do not understand it. Why live in a home so large when there are merely three dwelling within? Should you not invite others to live here, or simply make your abode smaller? Or perhaps collect tiny beasts to live with us? Oh, then I suppose, there are five that dwell here, not three."

"You are confusing yourself again, sister mine. Hush before you choke on your food... again."

A smile touched my lips as I watched Satanika and Starkin discuss our home over our second meal. A meal that consisted of a large freshly roasted pig, vegetables of all colors, fruits of all shapes, and desserts ranging in sweetness from sugary and buttery to bitter and sour. It was a banquet set out upon the long clear glass table in the hall in which we dined, just before that in which we made the food.

Geara sat to my left, hiding her smile behind a glass of red wine. Xiphrus sat across from me, laughing at Satanika's suggestions. Starkin merely shook his head as Satanika was triggered into another conversation of the home's many empty quarters above the main floor.

"We simply must have a bird room," Satanika decided, thumping her fist down on her hand and pointing her finger up, a symbol of satisfaction, "Aye, yes, that is what Starkin and I shall do then this afternoon. We shall go to the forest and seek birds to collect for one of the rooms above. We shall build cute tiny homes and prepare them food fit for a phoenix."

"I do not like birds," Starkin replied dryly, ripping a piece of bread in half so that he may scoop out the soft insides to devour, "They are much too loud and bright. If we should be taking on pets, I wish for a reptile of sorts. A snake is preferable."

"I concur," I agreed with a nod and Satanika wrinkled her nose.

"A snake? Whatever could you possibly find cute about a snake?"

"I think they're impossibly cute," I responded sincerely, swirling my wine in my glass, "They are preciously smooth and come in all colors, bright and neutral. They are clever and peaceful and make no noise. Their eyes are like glass orbs that see all."

"And I very much enjoyed the little tongue thing they do," Starkin pointed out.

"Ah, you mean this?" I flicked my tongue out and Starkin laughed. The others joined in and the meal continued as thus; playful and fun, carefree. It was a huge relief given the tension brought on by recent events. A good break to let the mind ease, the body conserve strength.

Though, there was lingering frustration, I noticed, particularly on Geara's part. Her visit with the other creatures to investigate Thia's attack had been fruitless, and I had kept Prixius's attack between Xiphrus and myself. There was no need to concern Geara with it. Prixius clearly hadn't attacked Thia as his method of attack was made with scythe blades, not wire and not brute force. It was a slow painful death that had nearly taken our Thia away from us. One done by someone who was sadistic, yet held a form of regret once he was finished, given the way he'd hidden Thia's body from sight.

The investigation was cold at the moment.

Therefore, it was time to rest and recuperate before continuing. It was our only hope that whoever had done this would not strike again. Not that it was easy now. Since Thia's attack, creatures had shut themselves away and kept out of the forests, particularly at night when coverage was much easier for predators lurking in the shadows. Most creatures had bonded into small groups to protect themselves, creatures they were sure they could trust, not that that was easy, considering trust was dwindling by the day.

Even in my heart, while I told myself things would all be well in the end, there was a lingering fear, a distrust in those around me.

My eyes drifted briefly toward Xiphrus, who was laughing at something Satanika was saying. I felt guilt as well, for Xiphrus had returned to his normal cheery self, there was a part of me that was unsure in his actions. He'd changed back so abruptly, without much explanation. All he would say was that he simply realized the error of his way and would do his best to refrain from approaching Atlan until the investigation had cooled.