Chapter Twenty-Seven

"I want to go into the city, and I want you to come with me."

"What?"

I sighed, turning away from the balcony in Set's chambers, the one with the perfect view of the city beyond the Nile. Stepping out of the sun's hot rays, I backed up against the silk drapery, reaching up to push the hair out of my face so I could see Set lounging on the bed, sprawling out like a lethal cat on a tree branch, his head resting on his arm, his legs open on the bed, his chest rising and falling steadily for a moment before he hesitated.

He blinked, then propped himself up with a frown.

"Why the city?" He asked dryly, as if he could think of nothing less entertaining. I smiled, pushing off the drapes and approaching the bedside, sinking down on my knees. Set's eyes glinted and he drew closer, wrapping an arm around my waist so pull him close. He closed his eyes and ran his tongue up from my groin to my navel, tongue dipping in the flat planes of my stomach.

"I want to look around, see if I can bring anything back for Lucifer," I added. Set's expression became annoyed as he peered up my body at me, and something about it was incredibly sensual.

"Must you bring him up?" He asked. I laughed softly, reaching down to run my fingers through his hair, enjoying the silky strands slipping between my fingers, feeling his scalp beneath my fingernails as they scraped by. Set seemed to purr at the touch.

"You know I don't speak of him like that," I told him, "Lucifer is my friend, my brother."

"The very thought of him makes me soft," Set deadpanned. I laughed and ruffled his hair now, watching him roll his eyes as he fell back on the bed, throwing an arm up over his head, his other hand resting on his stomach.

"Good," I said, standing up again, "Then we can go into the city." Set's brows drew together in a nervous frown. I waited patiently for him to figure out how he wanted to respond.

While it was true, I wanted to purchase a gift for Lucifer and Lillian, I also wanted to have Set confront his next fear-- being around other creatures. He'd been locked inside his own cage for so long, terrified he would become angry and lash out at the innocent. He was so accustomed to his own company that meeting other people made him bashful. While it was sweet, cute even, it wasn't entirely healthy. He could blush all he wanted, but he needed to speak to others, become at least a little more social than he was now.

"If you won't go, I'll go. Alone," I added, drifting toward the bathing quarters to rinse off in the pool. Set made a noise of distress, climbing out of the bed to come after me. He didn't touch me, didn't speak, just followed me into the bathing quarters. He watched from the doorway as I climbed into the water, picking up a small bucket to pour water down over my head. His eyes were on me the entire time, and I felt the room rise a bit in temperature with Set's arousal.

"Alone," I reiterated. Set growled, moving from his position in the doorway, unfolding his arms, and walking into the pool with me. I turned to him, arching a brow, daring him to touch me. He didn't, he understood that I wasn't in the mood, and he gave a heavy, frustrated sigh.

"Fine," he grumbled, "But I will not enjoy it. Any of it." I smiled, picking up the bucket with water and holding it over his head, pouring it out. He slammed his eyes shut, letting the water pour over him, rinsing away the scent of sex, leaving behind his own natural aroma that lit my heart on fire.

"Somehow, I doubt that," I murmured to him, leaning in to kiss his nose. He peered an eye open, then both so he was staring me right in the eyes, his silver ones gleaming with fascination. I bathed him, and he bathed me, before we stepped out together and dressed.