Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"You've done... what?"

Geara's shock echoed to the emotions I kept buried, a small twinge of pain for her creeping into my heart, but I stamped it down hard with a reminder that what I did was for the greater good. So I stood absolutely still, standing before Geara in her garden with Starkin and Satanika present, all eyes locked upon me.

"Xiphrus has been banished. He has chosen his path and his path is paved with the blood of the innocent. I also refuse to stand by and allow this to go forth. We were created to protect the Source and its creatures. We are guardians. We are creators. We have children to protect, realms to protect, and all that beyond. If Atlan wishes to push things to the point of murdering Thia, to brainwashing Xiphrus, then so be it. We can also set fire to the universe as he does." My words only seemed to frighten Geara further. Satanika frowned slowly, but she didn't appear to deny my claims. Nor did Starkin.

"You mean to say that we must fight our own brother?" Geara said after a moment, her golden eyes aglow with sorrow and pain. I stared at her, completely understanding her skepticism. In her eyes, Xiphrus was still our brother. Our naive, playful brother. She had not seen the evil Xiphrus was capable of, nor the devotion he held for Atlan in favor over the Source. She knew not the determination Xiphrus held for Atlan's plans.

"He is no longer our brother," I replied, watching Geara's lips purse and her eyes well with tears, and she began to shake her head in denial, but I stepped toward her, sweeping an arm out to gesture off into whatever dark land Xiphrus had chosen over his Paradise, "Our brother was killed the moment he met Atlan. What lay in our brother's vessel is not Xiphrus. It is a monster who bends to the command of his master. You told me that Love is the most powerful force in the known universe. Xiphrus holds it."

"What Xiphrus and Atlan has is--"

"What Xiphrus has for Atlan is love," I insisted, watching her swallow hard, "Xiphrus loves Atlan. Xiphrus's innocence fell completely head over heels for him and he is doing all that he can to prove to Atlan his love. Unfortunately, what Atlan holds for Xiphrus is not love. Atlan needed us, the Three Original Demons, to bring his plan to fruition. He failed in capturing me. He knew the moment he saw you that there was no way to seduce you to his side. He prayed on Xiphrus and planned to have Xiphrus convert us. That is what his plan is, Geara. Atlan is not using magic. He is not casting a spell. He is manipulating Xiphrus's ability to love and using it for his own selfish gain."

I paused, watching Geara absorb my words, a single tear trailing down her cheek as she clutched her arms tightly around herself. Starkin was instantly at her side to wrap his arms around her tiny body that suddenly seemed to be fragile and weak, like a leaf that would blow away in the wind. Meanwhile, Satanika was frowning at the ground, her fists clenching slowly.

"Xiphrus's love is powerful," I spoke again, making everyone look up, "And he is about to be fueled by that love to protect and serve Atlan. Atlan has corrupted the most powerful force in the universe and he is about to unleash it upon us all."

"It's not love," Geara repeated again, shaking her head in denial, and I sighed, mostly frustrated she couldn't accept it, "It's infatuation, Joxeia, there is a difference--"

"And Xiphrus does not see it," I told her firmly, "In his eyes, he is in love. In his eyes, Atlan is perfection and can do no wrong. Atlan has become his Source. We cannot stand here and pretend that our Xiphrus will return to us. He's been corrupted, polluted, and now he will do as Atlan commands, even if it means killing us." Geara squeezed her eyes shut, more tears falling down her precious cheeks and she turned to put her arms around Starkin, clinging to him for comfort.