Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

We spent all night repairing what damage we could of the town, paying for the time that the workers would be off, paying for them to stay in hotels on the other side of the mountain, and for crews to come in and begin rebuilding atop the rubble.

"Fuck, it's a good thing I'm a god," Zeus muttered as he looked down at his iPad, making notations of current inventory and working crews that were on the grounds at the marketplace, "Otherwise, I'd be in debt up to my fucking nose hairs." I shook my head at him, my arms over my shoulders. And while I knew damn well I should be focused on the mayhem around us, my eyes were drawn to the way Zeus had popped back into one of his designer suits, and goddamn him, he gelled his hair back all neat and tidy. But he still looked drop dead gorgeous in that beautifully tailored Dolce and Gabbana blue-black suit with a metallic gold tie that shimmered in the lighting overhead.

I debated dragging him back to the palace for further play, but his stamina wasn't anywhere near mine and I didn't want to break him when we'd just gotten started. So I was forced to simply watch longingly as he cut an elegant picture, standing there at the long table in the first meeting room in the office building where all the official meeting were held, and as of right now, was the headquarters of the rebuilding community.

"You're burning a hole in my ass," Zeus said suddenly, and my eyes flickered up to meet mine as he arched a brow. I smiled, waited until the worker left the room to just us and I appeared in front of him, taking his tie and feeling the satin slide between my fingers before I tilted my head to look up at him.

"I want to do a lot more than that with your ass when we're done here," I said. Zeus's eyes flared and he glanced past me at the doorway, then back down at my lips. His tongue slid over his bottom lip and he leaned down, lips brushing mine before he pulled back on purpose to piss me off.

"We'll see about that," he murmured in response. I smirked and released him, tucking his tie back in neatly before I glanced up at his hair and he narrowed his eyes.

"Don't even fucking think about it. One hair goes out of place and I'm going to fuck you until you bleed," as soon as he spoke the words, he stopped and the play left his eyes, "I didn't mean it like that." I shook my head, reaching up to touch his bottom lip.

"Don't apologize to me. That kind of talk may be inappropriate for others, but for me, I like it."

"Gods, I can't tell who's more fucked up between the two of us," Zeus muttered. I smiled, brushing my knuckles by his cheek and his eyelids wavered over his piercing blue eyes that suddenly darkened with hunger. He reached up, capturing my hand before I could take it away and he touched it to his cheek. I paused at that strangely sweet, almost delicate gesture. Then he drew the back of my hand over his lips, placing a kiss there before he stepped back.

"Look, St. John--"

"Joxeia," I said. Zeus frowned.

"What?"

"My name is Joxeia," I answered, watching Zeus's frown deepen, "St. John is the name I was given by Lucifer a long time ago. Back then, my name was associated with... bad memories. But, I enjoy hearing people I find special say it." Zeus's eyes studied my face. There was an odd look in his eyes, and I wondered if I made a mistake in giving him my real name before he spoke.

"I don't know why, but I feel like I've heard your name before," he muttered, reaching up to rub at his temple in an attempt to remember it. I frowned curiously, but we didn't discuss it further as a worker came in the doorway, leaning in on the frame.

"My Lord, a thousand apologies for intruding, but we've encountered yet another issue with the demolition of one of the ruined buildings and we're going to need your assistance," he told Zeus, who nodded and waved him out before he looked at me. I offered him a smile.