Chapter Fifty-Two

Chapter Fifty-Two

Running.

I was finally running again.

The sensation was invigorating. The blood pumped through my veins like a rushing stream, my breath left in smooth gasps, as my steady jog became more of a sprint. I savored the sounds of my shoes smashing down on gravel, stomping down hard after jumping over fallen tree limbs. The cool morning air was a blast against my face, nipping at my nose and cheeks, stray hairs flipping out in front of my vision before flying back.

The sunrise had turned the sky a gorgeous shade of peach that spread out into a soft blue. Golden rays broke out over the tops of the trees, filtering through branches and leaves, lighting the path ahead of me. Birds came to life with soft morning songs and critters of all kinds scampered across the forest floor, darting out in front of me before disappearing into the grass.

This had turned out to be best morning I'd had in a very long time.

It had started with me waking up to Zeus snuggled down under the covers, his blonde hair a wild mess, an arm tucked under his head, the other under his pillow, and my arm draped around his waist, my nose against his neck. I'd woken up to the smell of his skin, his hair, his everything. I'd crept out of bed and showered, then tucked him into the covers a bit more when I'd emerged to find he'd kicked off some of the blankets. I'd left a note behind indicating I'd gone for a run and hoped to come back to some breakfast.

After slapping on a blue tracksuit, I'd hit the path that led from Zeus's backyard and into the woods, one that would most likely come back around into the southern part of town and allow me to take a peek at how construction was going on. Thankfully, Zeus's room was soundproofed, so I wasn't awakened by the sound of said construction going on.

I continued running at a good sprint, rounding corners, listening to my sneakers skid through the dirt and gravel. As I ran down the path, I began to pick up on a familiar source of power, a frown turning down the corners of my mouth as I recognized Xiphrus's presence. I veered off the path, ducking into the woods. I moved slower now, stepping over fallen trees and walking around animal dens until I came to the grassy shoreline of a small lake. It glittered in the rising sun, its surface peaceful and calm. A morning dove flew over its surface, then landed on a tree branch nearby, beginning a soft croon.

My eyes flickered to where Xiphrus was sitting on the white sand, sitting with his knees drawn to his chest, his arms wrapped around them, and his sky blue eyes red rimmed, teary, staring out over the lake. He didn't appear to notice me. Was he really that deep in his own mind?

The sight of him in tears broke my heart. Curious and concerned, I walked along the shoreline, approaching him. When my foot snapped a stray twig, he twitched, then quickly rubbed at his eyes before looking up. He relaxed when he saw it was me, however.

"Joxeia," he murmured, "You're back." I smiled, coming over and sinking down to the ground beside him, taking my shoes off and setting them aside so I could feel the soft sand on my bare feet.

"I'm sorry I didn't come to you right away," I answered, "I was... I had to see Zeus." Xiphrus smiled, but it was so pained, and he quickly looked back out to the lake, clearing his throat and sniffing briefly.

"I understand. I am... happy that you chose the right path, Joxeia."

"And yet you weep," I murmured, reaching out to brush my knuckles against his cheek. Xiphrus flinched, then dropped his eyes to the ground, tightening his arms around his knees.

"I missed you," he answered instead. I cocked my head, then drew my knees up and leaned over them so I could look into Xiphrus's face, and his eyes darted away, making me frown curiously.