Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

"I know who you are."

Set looked up from the scroll splayed open across his lap to look at me, narrowing those gleaming silver eyes on me. He sat with one leg folded over the other, his hands resting on his knees, his long hair falling like a black waterfall over his shoulder. Behind him, the albino crocodile appeared just above the surface, as if to also question my claim.

"Do you, now?" Set asked, straightening slowly. I inclined my head, then pushed off the column I'd been leaning on. I lowered my arms from across my chest and Set's eyes flickered, his head cocking slightly.

"I've been watching you since the moment you appeared before me," I answered, watching him raise an eyebrow, "My first impression of you was how beautiful you are." He straightened at that, his eyes widening for a split second before he dropped them to the floor, as if he were having difficulties looking directly at me.

"You're quite possibly the most beautiful creature I've ever seen. I find it difficult to not watch you when you enter the room. You are a true testament to the Egyptian lineage. You are also one of the most powerful creatures that walks this planet. You are a god of chaos, blood lust, and you are also a god of the desert, of storms, and of foreigners. You are intelligent and you are strong. You have a way with even the most fiercest of animals, quite possibly because you deal with a beast inside your own self. You've found a way to quell the beast of chaos that lives in your heart and your soul. You are fiercely loyal and you love so deeply. You are, in so many ways, the most beautiful creature."

Set stared at the floor now. He was unsure whether or not to believe my words. I understood.

"But I have seen the problems that you deal with," I said at last, making him blink and look up curiously, "The method in which you quell your beast is unhealthy. You allow your family, your wife, to abuse you. You believe that if you play their game, allow them to treat you as nothing more than a wild animal that needs to be controlled, you can keep the beast from lashing out. It wasn't hard either. While love is a powerful force that you use often, it unfortunately has backfired on you quite a few times, has it not?" Set's eyes sharpened.

"Shut up," he snapped, shutting the scroll and setting it down. I met his eyes levelly.

"I am correct. And I know of the people who have harmed you. I know that you have begun to tell yourself that your self-loathing is necessary in order to leash the beast within you, but it is not. The beast inside you is feeding on this. It becomes stronger, and soon, it will completely consume you and you will kill everyone around you, including those you love. Including your people."

"I have no idea what you're spouting off about," Set said coldly, picking up his scroll and rolling it up as he turned his back to me, "All you've done is stood around and spied on me. It is none of your business to deal with my family matters. You came here to help me, not--"

"Do not turn your back on me," I said firmly. Set froze, then slowly turned to face me, his expression murderous.

"How dare you speak to me--"

"I have come to assist you. In order to do that, I must know who you are and what has made you the way you are. You are one of the most powerful creatures in the world, yet you bend to the will of lessers because you are afraid of yourself. Because you hate yourself, more than you hate anyone else." My words only heightened Set's rage. He dropped the scroll and moved fast. One minute, we were standing before the pool and in the next, Set had me slammed against the column beside the dais upon which sat his throne. He pinned me with his hard solid body, his hands capturing my wrists and thrusting them over my head.