Chapter 3

I stood, frozen in fear. This had to be Noah.

"I haven't had a drink in a couple of days." He muttered, eyes blackening while an eager smile formed on his lips. He took a step forward; despite my better judgement, I took a step back. His grin widened.

"You're new here, I've never seen you. I think I'd remember a face as pretty as yours." He took another step towards me. I forced myself not to move a muscle, but my jaw clenched. My heart was hammering in my chest as I watched him come closer. He was less than a foot away now. His hand came up to my face, forcing my head to the side, giving him access to my throat.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you." He said in a low voice, leaning down to my throat. Despite his words, I was extremely frightened. My blood was different, and those that drank it usually couldn't control themselves; I shut my eyes, waiting for the pain.

I felt his fangs graze my throat when he was suddenly ripped away from me. I sighed a quiet breath of relief and opened my eyes. The relief was short lived as I saw Oliver's back, standing in front of me with a casual stance with the guy standing in front of him looking pissed.

"What the hell was that for?" He asked angrily.

"Not her, Noah. Go find someone else. She's off limits." Oliver said, sounding bored. I wasn't sure what it was about him saying those words, but they made my heart almost skip.

"What happened to 'what's mine is yours'?" Noah asked, looking offended.

"No worries, that still stands, but she's not 'technically' mine. She's Sam's and he told me that I was the only person who could drink from her because he didn't want her to be killed." Oliver explained. I saw realization overcome Noah's expression and he nodded his head.

"So she's the one he's talked about? She doesn't smell like I thought she would." Noah commented, brief skepticism obvious. "Didn't Sam say that he'd never had blood like hers before?"

"Yeah. Sam told me that he hadn't thought her blood was special, but once he drank from her, her smell changed and became almost irresistible. I can't confirm that yet because I haven't tried her out. Sam told me to be completely full before drinking from her so that I wouldn't accidentally drain her." Oliver said, laughing slightly as if the idea of him doing that was impossible.

"That's not very fair. Couldn't you just let me in on the secret? I already wanted to meet her, but now I'm dying for a drink. I'll be careful and even wait until I'm full if that would make you feel better." Noah said, trying to plead his case. I'd never realized that Sam had talked so much about me. Oliver glanced back at me, looking unsure.

"I don't know. I'd have to see for myself first. I'll decide after I've had a bite." Noah shrugged, apparently coming to the decision that that was a good enough answer.

"What are you still doing here? Get to bed." Oliver said, unexpectedly looking at me in a very irritated manor. I nodded quickly and walked as fast as I could to the room that I shared with eight other slaves. I had the last bunk bed to myself and climbed onto the top, trying to calm my breathing. 

"There you are. I was beginning to think you'd gotten lost." Said a girl slave named Sev that I'd met earlier when KC had showed me to my room. I smiled slightly.

"No, I'm fine." I didn't feel like telling anyone what had just happened. I laid down and closed my eyes, hoping that sleep would consume me soon. It was just after 10:30 and others were making their way into the room and talking quietly to each other, so I was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to sleep until everyone had settled into their own beds.

"I almost forgot to tell you, if you have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, there's a single bathroom just across the hall. It's the first room to the left. Sir Oliver let's us go there and back. Most usually wait until the early morning, but it depends on how bad you need to go. You're allowed to be up for the day starting at six in the morning, but it's a risk if he's the only one up with you." I nodded my head.