Chapter 4

Kira's POV

Today was two weeks in this treacherous place. I wasn't sure how I was going to last several months. I was always busy either helping someone or doing chores. I'd discovered that Oliver almost never killed any of his slaves, but occasionally left them near death. I'd also learned that a healer lived in the mansion, and helped the ones that were too injured to work. While Oliver's blood would help humans to heal much faster than a healer could heal, he refused to give anyone his blood because he preferred them to suffer a while longer and it was beneath him.

He'd not yet hurt me, but it seemed he was always around, either glaring at me or making my job harder in some fashion or another. If that wasn't bad enough, I was both extremely attracted to Oliver while being afraid of him at the same time. I couldn't get him out of my head.

Though I'd only been here a short while, it seemed like everyone came to me if they needed anything, making it seem as though I was in charge of them. Even though they were quick to receive my help, they were still reluctant to give it out themselves. 

I quietly climbed out of my bed and left the room. It was nearly 6:30 now; I'd been laying in bed for over an hour just day dreaming. I imagined what it would be like if Oliver was more like Sam. I chuckled a little at the thought of Oliver sitting on the couch, reading a book. When someone walked in he would glance up and smile at them, telling them to keep up the good work. If he saw that they were struggling he'd get up and help them out, assuring them they weren't any trouble. 

At this thought I nearly burst out laughing, but contained myself to silently shaking with soundless laughter. 'Nice' wasn't Oliver's style, but he could stand to be at least a little kinder to people. I was just beginning to get control of myself when I heard a familiar voice behind me.

"What's so funny?" I turned around and gave Noah a weak smile.

"Oh nothing, just day dreaming." Noah had proven to be sarcastic, but not mean in the slightest. I could actually talk to him on a level that could be considered a real conversation.

"About what?" He asked, looking curious. 

I hesitated. There was a possibility that Oliver could here us.

"Nothing." I said, smiling at him, hoping he'd drop it. His own smirk dropped off a little and I could tell he wouldn't.

"No, tell me. I could use a laugh. Oliver's been a jerk all night and he stormed out like half an hour ago." I decided that if Oliver wasn't around it was safe to share.

"Well I was imagining what life would be like if Oliver had Sam's personality." I said shyly, looking down. He suddenly laughed aloud, and I was glad we were on the bottom floor so we didn't wake anyone up.

"Yeah that's definitely a funny thought." Noah said, grinning. "Like if he didn't yell at me for something I didn't do. That'd be nice." He said.

"What'd he yell at you about?" I asked, curiously. He suddenly stopped smiling and looked uncomfortable. He wouldn't even look at me. I had a bit of a sinking feeling.

"Sorry, I can't tell you. That's vamp business." He said.

"Sure you can, Sam told me everything." I said, trying to coax him into spilling.

"No." He said in a firm end-of-conversation way, though his eyes showed he wasn't trying to be rude.

"Okay." I said quietly. We were in the kitchen now and I decided to make myself something to eat before I cooked for everyone. After a few more minutes of awkward silence between Noah and I, I'd made us both some scrambled eggs. I sat down and we both starting eating.