Chapter 3

Peyton's p.o.v

"Uhh...Max, are you okay?" I asked him and he shook his head, breathing heavily. "Pull over. I'll drive."

"No, I need to get home," he said and I was afraid we would get into a car crash. I remembered the night my parents got into their crash and started crying.

"Please, Max. Pull over so I can drive," I said with tears running down my face. He looked at me and his face went from pain to sorry as he pulled over. I got out of the car and ran to the other side while he scooted over and I pulled onto the road again. Max gave me the directions to his house and sometimes it was hard to understand him because he was in so much pain he could hardly talk. I asked if he wanted to go to the hospital but he said it would do no good so I just took him to his house.

Once I pulled up outside, I cut the engine and ran to the passenger side to help him walk into the house. The stupid front door was locked so I stumbled with the keys a little, trying to get it open and once I did, I rushed Max inside and laid him on the couch. He was shaking even more so I ran to the kitchen, searched through the drawers and wet a towel and put it over his forehead. I grabbed his phone and searched through it for his moms number and called it.

"Hey, Max," she said and I was crying a little. I don't know what's going on and I'm really starting to freak out. I feel really close to this guy already and I just can't stand to lose him.

"Um, hi. This is his friend. Um, I think he needs you right now. I don't know what's going on but he's shaking really bad. Please come home," I said and was crying at the end.

"Okay, I'm on my way, sweetie. Just hang in there and keep a cold towel on his forehead. And if the shaking gets worse, call me right away. Okay?" she asked.

"Yeah. Please hurry," I said.

"I'm on my way, sweetie. Hang in there," she said and hung up. I wiped my eyes and kept the towel over his head, anxious for her to get home. While I waited for her to get home, I held Max's hand which I received shocks and pulled my hand away, confused.

"Max, I don't know why I feel this way but...please don't die. Please, Max. You're scaring me," I said and held his hands again, feeling the sparks running through my hands. Max lifted his other hand and wiped off the tears on my face and I did the same for him. He seemed to be in a lot of pain and I was really scared. In the past couple of hours, I don't know how, but I started to fall for this guy.

"Lay with me," Max whispered through clenched teeth and I nodded while he scooted over. We both laid on our sides, staring at each other and I made sure he kept the cold cloth on his forehead. He laid his head on my shoulder and I scooted closer to him. It seemed that when I was close to him, our bodies pressed together, the shaking wouldn't be as bad and he could breathe easier so I tried to stay where I was. Finally, the door opened and a woman that looked a lot like Max rushed in but stopped when she saw me and smiled.

"Hi, I'm Karen, Max's mom," she said. "You are...?"

"Oh, sorry. I'm Peyton," I said and she smiled even more.

"Well, I just need you to move so I can help Max out but you need to stay here, okay?" she told me. I nodded and stood up but wanted to lay back down because Max started shaking and looked to be in a ton of pain. Karen started talking to Max, telling him to calm down. It was helping a bit but I really wanted to do something to help. Why the heck was this happening to him and why was I feeling the way I was?

"Max, please," I whispered as I sat down, putting my head on my knees. All I could hear were the sounds of his breathing become more ragged and sounded painful. I couldn't bear to look up at him because I knew I would start crying. The sound of tearing clothes made me look up and where Max was once laying, was now a gigantic wolf. I stood up shaking a little since I was really freaked out now and wanted to get the hell away from there.

"Good job, son," Karen said like it was just natural to see a wolf in her living room-what??? Son?! All I see is a giant wolf on the couch. What the heck is happening?? "Now, concentrate on being human again. You can do it, son." Slowly, the wolf turned to Max and I closed my eyes, shaking my head. This wasn't happening.

"Congratulations, Max," Karen said and I heard her whisper, "Your mate is gorgeous." I looked at her like she was crazy and grabbed my backpack and started running. I had an idea of where I was going so that's where I ran, to the school to get my car and go home. Once I got in my car, I took a deep breath to calm down and started my car. Driving home, I tried to process what just happened but I couldn't make any sense of it. I knew I wasn't dreaming but maybe I was daydreaming?

I can't believe what I saw. First he was human, then he was a wolf and then human again? What the heck is wrong with his family? Do they all turn into furry animals? All I know is that I hope I was dreaming. I don't want this to be real....

___________________________________________________________________________________

let me know what you think :)

-<3