Chapter 5

Peyton's POV

I'm such a bitch! I thought to myself. I said such hurtful things to him and I don't think that I can take them back...Once at school, I leaned back in my seat and closed my eyes, taking deep breaths. After many moments, I got out of my car and headed to my locker to get my schedule and books that I left there yesterday. Again, Jack slapped my ass and I just turned to look at him. He looked freaked out by my appearance but I didn't care one bit. I knew I looked like shit and everyone was talking about me as I walked past them. In first period, I was doing my best not to fall asleep.

 I'm pretty sure I slept an hour last night because of those stupid dreams. Nobody talked to me but they stared at me like I was a freak and maybe I was. Or maybe Max wasn't a freak after all. It's just who he is, a giant wolf. I feel bad now that I said what I did. Sitting in the library for my free period, I put my head in my hands and silently cried, just letting the tears fall down. I was in the back part of the library where no one was but I wasn't alone. Sitting across from me a few tables over was Max. When I saw him my heart fluttered and tears came to my eyes at what we said to each other.

 I got tired of thinking and I tried to rest my head but my lip was throbbing and brought back memories of the hospital. I saw the images of my parents in the E.R. with the doctors unable to do anything and just let them die. I knew I was seeing these images because I was tired but they were really freaking me out. I pulled my hood up and squeezed my head, wanting them to go away. I felt nuts but I couldn't stand the images. Finally, they went away, only because a hand was on my shoulder. That hand belonged to Max. Once I saw his face, I started crying again and faced away from him.

"Are you okay?" he asked quietly. I suddenly became pissed. He calls me trash one minute and actually cares the next. Who the fuck does he think he is? I stood up, picking up my bag and faced him after wiping my eyes.

"Yeah, the trash is fine," I said and my voice just had to break at the end. Stupid voice. "Just leave me alone." Luckily, he didn't stop me, because if he did I would break down crying and I didn't want that. By the end of the day I was feeling really weak. All I wanted to do was go home and sleep but I wasn't sure if that was possible. Getting into my car, I knew I shouldn't drive but I needed to get home so I could sleep. I felt my eyes drooping as I started to drive home and I was having trouble staying awake. After a few minutes, I blacked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bright lights met my eyes when I opened them and I had to blink to adjust them. I tried to sit up but a hand pushed me back down. I wasn't coherent at all at the moment. I groaned at the pain I was feeling in my skull. It felt like someone was hitting me with a hammer over and over. Not a feeling that I enjoyed. It was pretty annoying but luckily, I was starting to focus again.

"Stop, you're going to hurt yourself," a pretty, masculine voice said and I stopped. Wait, I knew that voice. I looked to the side and saw Max looking at me through tired eyes. Gosh, his eyes are so beautiful.