Chapter 13

Max's p.o.v

I feel so lifeless. Like there's nothing left to live for. Like I just shouldn't be here anymore. For the past few hours I have been staring at my mates lifeless body silently crying and wishing I had protected her better. No matter what anybody says I won't feel the same again. I will always be this dead person because my other half is gone, no longer with me. Just that thought made me cry. I had failed her.

When everybody tried to pull me away from her I used my special powers and they left me alone. I didn't want to be away from her. I couldn't be away from her right now. I needed to remember her face, her gorgeous smile and her laugh that could make you laugh easily. I smiled as I thought about these things. She was my world and now I was realizing it. I knew that I would never be seeing her again and that just hurt me like you couldn't imagine. I wouldn't be able to hold her or kiss her soft lips. I wouldn't be able to feel her soft skin or her gorgeous hair. Man, my life really sucks right now.

"Come on, man. It's no use. She's not coming back," Jacob said. I just nodded, already acknowledging that. "She wouldn't want you to be like this. She would want you to live your life the way you were before she came along."

"What the hell do you know about my mate? What the hell do you know about what she would want? Huh?" I yelled, getting in his face.

"M-Max?" I heard Caleb's timid voice say. "Peyton, she told me th-that she loved you with all her heart and that if she passed away she would want you to live for her." He started crying again and I felt bad for him.

"Why are you so sad for my mate? Why are you crying over her?" I asked him, calmly.

"She is the nicest person I've ever met. She talked to me like I was a real person and not just an underdog like that jack@$$ I used to call my Alpha did," he told me. "She was the only one that I actually trusted. Now she's gone and I barely met her." I sat next to him and put my arm around him, sympathetic. He started crying on my shoulder and I found myself crying with him but that didn't last long before I heard a muffled voice. Mate, my wolf said.

I jumped up and ran over to my baby girl. She still looked as dead as ever and I think it was just my imagination, her voice. I looked up at my pack mates and they looked at me confused. It's just my imagination, I told myself and leaned against the brick wall with my baby's head in my lap. I know, it's a little gross putting my deceased mates' head in my lap but it comforted me. I was drifting to sleep when I heard it again, the voice but it was louder.