Prologue: Welcome to Belmount

I walk alone in the silent streets of a small town in Belmount Pennsylvania, on my way to a hell hole where people speak empty promises, become the person they said they'd never be and break hearts; also knows as... high school.

We live in a world filled of monsters with friendly faces; we never really know who someone really is until we screw up and see who's still there for us. I learned that the hard way.

I'm just an ordinary girl- seventeen years old in the twelfth grade just trying to survive the last few agonizing months leading up to my freedom. That is of course, if you ignore my irregular shade of blue eyes, too blonde hair and extremely pale skin.

I walk silently down the road, trying to figure out when and why everything went wrong. I had friends, a boyfriend, did well in school, and l seemed to be surviving just fine, yet things had to change.

They all started leaving, one by one, once they got to know me and realized how broken I really am, they left. It started with my best friend. I thought he was there for me no matter what. And up until recently, he was.

Then after him, everyone else left, wanting to run as far and as fast away from me as they possibly could. Who was left was Cameron, my boyfriend. I let his words flow through me like silent waves until I feel like I'm drowning,

"Skye, you push away anyone that cares about you and tries to get close to you, why?"

"I don't know," I replied, feeling tears welling up in my eyes.

"Well I'm done trying to figure it out," he said as he walked away.

He may have been right and I may have needed to hear those words but he was the one person I didn't want to hear them from. The only problem is me. I didn't know who would leave or stay so I pushed them all away thinking things will get better but they haven't. No one wants to spend their time trying to figure out ways to get me to open up. They'd all lose their minds trying to understand mine.

As I grew up, I had more of a reason to prove that no one could be trusted. My mom and dad were high school sweethearts; they loved each other and wanted to build a life together, but that life didn't include having a child and getting married at the age of eighteen. My dad got my mom pregnant, he told her he would stay but he left a few months before I was born. Without as much as a second glance, a hint of regret, or an explanation, he just walked out of both of our lives.

Since the day I was born, it had always been just me and my mom. She did everything she could to support us; she was the reason I was here. She didn't want to have a child at such a young age, she had her whole life planned out in front of her.

I loved my mom and my mom loved me, we were all each other had and that had been enough for both of us.

Up until around my fourth birthday.

That was when everything fell apart.

She left me in the care of my grandparents for the night, saying she'd be home soon. No one had expected her to leave town. And by the time my grandparents realized it, it had already been too late. She packed her bags, got in her car, handed me to her parents and just left.

What she planned was to leave and never come back; she said it was because she couldn't handle it anymore. To this day I still didn't know what she meant by it, but I suspected it had something to do with me. What she didn't plan on though, was getting into a car accident ten minutes into the escape and dying instantly.

Later on that night I found a note in my overnight bag from my mother apologizing for leaving so soon and telling me to run from this town as soon as I could. My mother always was a little off. She never really knew what she was saying. She was always worried sick about something happening to me. Her last words in the note were, "when you turn eighteen leave as fast as you can and come and find me."