Epilogue: Seven Minutes (Skylar)

Epilogue: Seven Minutes (SKYLAR)

I slowly wake from unconsciousness, but keep my eyes shut; afraid of what I'll see when I open them.

After a while of awkwardly keeping them shut, distant chatter and clinking of dishes makes them snap open and I'm surprised to find myself lying in my old bedroom, the walls still painted the same strawberry frost colour I loved so much when I was a kid.

I hear laughing and loud voices and happy chatter floating upstairs from what I guess can only be the kitchen and get up shakily, trying to remember what happened.

I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and my memories catch up to me.

Hearing Malum's story, watching my grandparents die, plunging a knife straight through his stomach, thinking he was dead and it was all over only to have him throw his last bit of power straight into my heart and ending my life; it all comes back in flashes and I have to swallow the bile rising in my throat.

My hand flies to my neck after seeing the dress I was supposed to wear to my graduation ripped and torn in many places and I breathe a sigh of relief once I realize Derek's necklace is still hanging from my throat.

I lift what is left of my dress from the floor as I walk across the hallway and down the stairs, towards the sound of the noisy chatter.

And I know exactly where I'm going because this is the house that I grew up in; this is where I've lived my whole life.

Once I reach the kitchen, my hands fly to my mouth and I gasp in shock.

Everyone was sitting around the table, talking and laughing and having normal conversations; my grandparents, my mom, Derek's parents, uncle Isaac and even two other people which I assume to be Aislinn and Aidenn's parents.

They're all sitting there waiting for me.

They grow deathly quiet as I enter the room, before breaking out into smiles and claps and laughter.

I stare at everyone in confusion, "what's going on?" I ask, "Where am I?"

My mother is the first to respond to me, "You're home! We're here to congratulate you for doing the one thing none of us could do. You saved the world and everyone in it, angel."

I remain silent, not wanting to tell them how I truly feel, because in reality, all I did was shove a knife through my father's gut-someone who I grew to forgive and love and trust.

The noise starts to pick up again as everyone continues their conversations. Derek's parents are the first to come up to me.

Marianna smiles at me, "I feel like it's been so long since we've last spoken, how have you been doing?"

I blink, staring at her blankly, how have I been doing? I just killed my father and then died at his hand, how did she think I was doing?

I don't say anything though, but smile back at her, "I'm okay, how are you guys?"

"Relieved," Derek's dad says, answering the question, "We're so glad it's over; it's all we've ever wanted."

He smiles warmly at me and sticks out his hand, "I'm Christopher by the way, Derek's father. I hope my boy has been treating you right. You seem like such a great girl, Marianna has told me so much about you."

I smile back, grateful to be talking about something normal, "Derek's been treating me just fine, there's no need to worry. He misses you guys a lot though. He used to talk about you all the time; I feel like I've known you all my life."