Chapter Ten: A Horrible Idea (Skylar)

early update because I'm going to be super busy tomorrow and I'm awesome;)

I'm in New York City this week so I didn't have much time to edit this chapter but I love the city, it's my first time here and it's so beautiful and bright. Do any of you lovely readers live in New York?

Chapter Ten: A Horrible Idea (SKYLAR)

When I pull into the school parking lot, I start to doubt why Aislinn asked me to meet her here. And I can't stop myself from thinking about the bad things that might start happening.

I look down at my phone, clutched tightly in my sweaty hand, and start to question why Aislinn-and possibly Aidenn as well- chose our high-school, out of all places to meet.

Belmount was never a friendly town to begin with, with its old buildings threatening to fall any minute, and people that make cloudy days seem even darker. It's not the most welcoming place to live, it never has been, but it's home.

Which is why we usually never get newcomers, it's a town filled with people that know each other-have known each other-for most of their lives, and whether you like it or not you'd be stupid trying to come in and change things. Because if there's one thing people in Belmount don't like(besides my family), it's change.

People usually leave after high school in the hopes of a better future outside Belmount, and then end up coming back not long after that. As much as I hate to admit it, I get in a way, why those people decide not to stray too far from what they've always known as normal.

Because everyone knows that you can leave Belmount, but Belmount will never leave you. When you're whole life, and basically everything you've ever known is in a small town like this one, it's hard to get used to the idea of going out into the real world, without the safe protection of life as you know it.

It's different out in the real world and definitely scarier, there's no doubt in that, but it's the kind of different that everyone has to see in order to understand, and it's the kind of different that I want to be a part of. Well at least I wanted to, before I knew that this town wasn't as small and naive as I originally sought it out to be.

It still strikes me as odd that so many people have decided to move in, and try to build a life here. It's certainly not a town I would've wanted to be a part of, not when there are so many other nicer places out there.

I sigh as I step out of the car and cautiously make my way towards the front entrance of the school, knowing that Aislinn is in there somewhere.

When the bell rings at the end of the day, it indicates the students can go home, and everyone is gone in the matter of seconds. And because the students don't stay, the teachers don't either, leaving the parking lot completely empty aside from my car, and the school itself, looking far bigger and scarier than it's ever been.

Get a grip on yourself.

I push aside all the flashing warning signs that seem to crowd in my mind, and open the doors to the school, stepping into the silent hallways with more caution and hesitation than necessary.

I look back at the text that Aislinn sent me, minutes earlier, wishing that she would've been more clear as to where to meet her.

My shoes make soft padding sounds as I walk slowly down the vacant hallway, the echoing silence making them seem extremely loud, and I head towards her locker, hoping she'll be there and try to control my heart from thumping so loud in my chest.

I'm just about to call out to her when I hear shuffling coming from the other side of the hallway. My eyes widen at the sound and I duck behind the row of lockers, hoping it will buy me some time so I can at least figure out what to do if that something that I heard is dangerous.