Chapter Thirty: Gone

"I'm telling you, when Courtney wears red she looks like an elf." I say, giggling.

The drive to the mall calmed me down and I was already returned back to normal before I pulled into the parking lot.

Aislinn laughs loudly, covering her mouth with both her hands, "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

I snicker at the picture that flashes through my mind, "trust me. She parades down the hallways in red pants and a green shirt for the whole month of December every year. And let me tell you, it's very possible for a small person to look even smaller in those clothes."

Aislinn takes a breath, "that's total bullshit; I don't believe it for a second."

Then she shakes her head, her lips curling, betraying her earlier comment as wipes her eyes and clutches at her stomach, "I literally just died."

I chuckle along with her, "So did everyone else when she walked around looking like the live version of a Christmas shop."

She sighs in mock pity, "I don't get it though; why would she even consider doing that."

I shrug, "beats me. I stopped trying to understand these people years ago."

Aislinn shakes her head in mock sadness, "I feel bad for the girl. The way she walks down the hallway looks like someone shoved a hammer up her ass."

My eyes widen, "You're horrible."

She giggles slightly before growing serious, "hey are you okay? When we met up you seemed kinda upset about something."

The laughter completely dies along with my mood as the thought of what happened between me and her brother pops into my mind. "Yeah," I lie. "I'm fine."

She squints grabs my hand, "The way that storm was coming down made it seem like someone really pissed you off."

I shrug. "Why do you automatically assume that was me?" I ask.

She looks at me blankly before continuing, "are you sure you're okay? You're not spiralling, are you?"

I dodge her hand, as it reaches towards me. "I'm fine, Aislinn. I promised I would tell you if something like that happened, but nothing has."

She looks at me suspiciously, "alright..." she grows quiet for a second before starting again, "did something happen with Derek?"

I huff and shoot her a look which she replies back with a sheepish smile. "No, nothing happened with Derek. We're fine, I'm fine. Things have been going good with us, even better every day."

"Good," she nods her head, "that's good to hear. At least we have something solid we can hold on to."

Then she mutters more to herself, "it was probably Aidenn, he's always pissing someone off. Yesterday it was Derek, the day before it was my uncle, today it was you, and tomorrow it's probably going to be me. I don't understand, it's like that kid can't go more than two hours without getting on someone's nerves."

I remain silent although I can't stop myself from agreeing with her.

"Do you know what I really don't understand about my brother?"

I sigh and walk into a random store, "what don't you understand about your brother Aislinn?" I ask, my voice tainted with sarcasm, because I know she would've told me even if I didn't ask.

She either doesn't notice or pretends to ignore me as she places her hand on her chin and pauses before responding, "His relationship with you."

I stop in my tracks and turn to look at her blankly. "Aidenn and I don't have any kind of relationship. I only tolerate your brother because he's your brother and my trainer. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't talk to him at all."