Chapter Thirty-Two: What Makes Leaving Hard

Life as I knew it was over.

The day had finally come.

Today was my senior graduation, and instead of jumping with joy at finally being able to leave this town like I thought I would've six months ago, all I can feel is this horrible cloud of sadness.

I was never going to walk the Belmount High hallways ever again. Today I would be opening my locker for the very last time and gathering my things in a huge plastic bag. My donated to another person in the fall.

I would never carpool with Derek again; stuffing a muffin in my mouth as I ran out the door because I was always late.

I would never meet up with Aislinn at lunch or spend the period laughing or crying or venting and screaming at the top of my lungs. Because God knows there were a lot of those days.

I would never see Aidenn walking through the halls like he owned them again; or roll my eyes when all the girls stopped to stare.

High school isn't the best years of your life; everyone that says that is lying. High school is horrible, or amazing; it all depends on how you like to see it.

Up until a while ago, I was just another seventeen year old girl with a dead mother and a bad attitude. I didn't have any friends and spent most of my life living on the sidelines. I spent the best years of my life listening to music with my hood up and went unnoticed.

Up until six months ago.

Because six months ago was when my whole world flipped upside down.

I figured out my mother was murdered, that I was in fact not just your average teenage girl.

I met the love of my life, and the only person I have ever trusted with my whole entire being.

I met my best friend; a person I didn't know how I went through life without.

We had been through everything together; from death threats, to car accidents, to fights, to tears and laughter- Aislinn was always there.

I also met the closest thing I would get to a brother. I hated Aidenn, but that's only because he bothered me and fought with me and teased me like he would his own sister. He annoyed me to no end, but at the end of the day, Aidenn was the only one that understood exactly who I was and didn't judge me for it.

I also met my father, the one person I had always thought I was going to live without. He became the closest thing I had to my mother.

I spent a lot of my life wondering what my father was like, but I never got the chance to act on those thoughts. I had no idea who he was, the only information I ever got about him was that he fell in love with my mom, got her pregnant and then left.

I grew up resenting him because it was the only emotion I could tie to his absence. I hated him for what he did, and it was only when he came back into my life that I learned to forgive him.

He was seventeen when it happened, he had his whole life ahead of him and he was scared.

He came into town looking to give apologies, but slowly, he became an important part of my life.

I shake all thoughts from my head, zippinf the dress up from behind me and look at myself in the mirror standing against the wall.

The dress fit perfectly, almost like it was made only for me. It hugged my waist snuggly, drifting out in waves of soft material onto the floor around my feet.